Apr 5, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
In one of the weirder juxtapositions of the year, Calgary Flames defenseman Jay Bouwmeester holds one impressive record…and an equally unimpressive one.
The good? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “iron man”, having played 586 consecutive games.
The bad? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “no playoffs man”, having played 715 games…without making the postseason.
With 715 games on his NHL resume — the last 586 in a row — the Calgary Flames defenceman is on a collision course with Olli Jokinen’s NHL record for most games without playoff action (799.)
And rest assured, Bouwmeester is hearing about it.
“He’s a proud athlete in the way he comes to work every day,” says associate head coach Craig Hartsburg. “You can see it in his eyes and his intensity. I’m sure it’s tough on him.”
As mentioned, Jokinen holds the modern-day record for games without playoff action — but at least he eventually got there in 2009, with the Flames. That’s a far better fate than former Detroit/Washington center Guy Charron (734 career games, never made the playoffs) or Columbus winger David Vyborny (543, never made it either.)
But back to Bouwmeester. Since he’ll miss the playoffs again this year, he’ll have to wait at least another 82 regular season games before breaking his record. And assuming plays Calgary’s final two games this year and continues his iron man streak next season, he’ll be looking at 799 games without making the playoffs — the exact same number as Jokinen.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)