Apr 5, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
In one of the weirder juxtapositions of the year, Calgary Flames defenseman Jay Bouwmeester holds one impressive record…and an equally unimpressive one.
The good? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “iron man”, having played 586 consecutive games.
The bad? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “no playoffs man”, having played 715 games…without making the postseason.
With 715 games on his NHL resume — the last 586 in a row — the Calgary Flames defenceman is on a collision course with Olli Jokinen’s NHL record for most games without playoff action (799.)
And rest assured, Bouwmeester is hearing about it.
“He’s a proud athlete in the way he comes to work every day,” says associate head coach Craig Hartsburg. “You can see it in his eyes and his intensity. I’m sure it’s tough on him.”
As mentioned, Jokinen holds the modern-day record for games without playoff action — but at least he eventually got there in 2009, with the Flames. That’s a far better fate than former Detroit/Washington center Guy Charron (734 career games, never made the playoffs) or Columbus winger David Vyborny (543, never made it either.)
But back to Bouwmeester. Since he’ll miss the playoffs again this year, he’ll have to wait at least another 82 regular season games before breaking his record. And assuming plays Calgary’s final two games this year and continues his iron man streak next season, he’ll be looking at 799 games without making the playoffs — the exact same number as Jokinen.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)