Apr 5, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
In one of the weirder juxtapositions of the year, Calgary Flames defenseman Jay Bouwmeester holds one impressive record…and an equally unimpressive one.
The good? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “iron man”, having played 586 consecutive games.
The bad? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “no playoffs man”, having played 715 games…without making the postseason.
With 715 games on his NHL resume — the last 586 in a row — the Calgary Flames defenceman is on a collision course with Olli Jokinen’s NHL record for most games without playoff action (799.)
And rest assured, Bouwmeester is hearing about it.
“He’s a proud athlete in the way he comes to work every day,” says associate head coach Craig Hartsburg. “You can see it in his eyes and his intensity. I’m sure it’s tough on him.”
As mentioned, Jokinen holds the modern-day record for games without playoff action — but at least he eventually got there in 2009, with the Flames. That’s a far better fate than former Detroit/Washington center Guy Charron (734 career games, never made the playoffs) or Columbus winger David Vyborny (543, never made it either.)
But back to Bouwmeester. Since he’ll miss the playoffs again this year, he’ll have to wait at least another 82 regular season games before breaking his record. And assuming plays Calgary’s final two games this year and continues his iron man streak next season, he’ll be looking at 799 games without making the playoffs — the exact same number as Jokinen.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 11
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 114
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (114)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)