Apr 5, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
In one of the weirder juxtapositions of the year, Calgary Flames defenseman Jay Bouwmeester holds one impressive record…and an equally unimpressive one.
The good? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “iron man”, having played 586 consecutive games.
The bad? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “no playoffs man”, having played 715 games…without making the postseason.
With 715 games on his NHL resume — the last 586 in a row — the Calgary Flames defenceman is on a collision course with Olli Jokinen’s NHL record for most games without playoff action (799.)
And rest assured, Bouwmeester is hearing about it.
“He’s a proud athlete in the way he comes to work every day,” says associate head coach Craig Hartsburg. “You can see it in his eyes and his intensity. I’m sure it’s tough on him.”
As mentioned, Jokinen holds the modern-day record for games without playoff action — but at least he eventually got there in 2009, with the Flames. That’s a far better fate than former Detroit/Washington center Guy Charron (734 career games, never made the playoffs) or Columbus winger David Vyborny (543, never made it either.)
But back to Bouwmeester. Since he’ll miss the playoffs again this year, he’ll have to wait at least another 82 regular season games before breaking his record. And assuming plays Calgary’s final two games this year and continues his iron man streak next season, he’ll be looking at 799 games without making the playoffs — the exact same number as Jokinen.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)