Apr 5, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
In one of the weirder juxtapositions of the year, Calgary Flames defenseman Jay Bouwmeester holds one impressive record…and an equally unimpressive one.
The good? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “iron man”, having played 586 consecutive games.
The bad? Jay-Bo is currently the NHL’s leading “no playoffs man”, having played 715 games…without making the postseason.
With 715 games on his NHL resume — the last 586 in a row — the Calgary Flames defenceman is on a collision course with Olli Jokinen’s NHL record for most games without playoff action (799.)
And rest assured, Bouwmeester is hearing about it.
“He’s a proud athlete in the way he comes to work every day,” says associate head coach Craig Hartsburg. “You can see it in his eyes and his intensity. I’m sure it’s tough on him.”
As mentioned, Jokinen holds the modern-day record for games without playoff action — but at least he eventually got there in 2009, with the Flames. That’s a far better fate than former Detroit/Washington center Guy Charron (734 career games, never made the playoffs) or Columbus winger David Vyborny (543, never made it either.)
But back to Bouwmeester. Since he’ll miss the playoffs again this year, he’ll have to wait at least another 82 regular season games before breaking his record. And assuming plays Calgary’s final two games this year and continues his iron man streak next season, he’ll be looking at 799 games without making the playoffs — the exact same number as Jokinen.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 44
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)