Apr 5, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
The average hockey fan would be thrilled for a personal invite to dinner from Wayne Gretzky.
Seems that goes for NHL head coaches, too.
This week, Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau got the call to break bread with No. 99 — Boudreau was in Vancouver playing the Canucks, Gretzky for a speaking engagement — and the Ducks bench boss was admittedly awestruck by the entire affair.
“Coolest moment of my life,” Boudreau told the Edmonton Journal. “I was blown away. I phoned my wife at two in the morning. I said, ‘You’ll never guess who I was with.’ I was really excited.”
Part of the reason Gretzky sought out Boudreau was because of his playing career. From 1972-75, Boudreau played junior hockey with the OHA’s Toronto Marlboros, a team Gretzky watched growing up.
“I was really shocked how knowledgeable Wayne was,” Boudreau explained. “He knew so much about me. I thought I knew a lot about him and I didn’t think he knew anything about me.
“But he knew an awful lot from 30 years ago and that’s another reason why he’s so great. He loves hockey.”
Of note, that 1974-75 Marlboros team was definitely one worth watching. In addition to churning out some quality NHLers like John Tonelli and Mark Napier, the team also developed a legion of NHL head coaches: Boudreau, Ron Wilson, John Anderson and Mike Kitchen.
As for dinner — Boudreau didn’t say what he and Gretzky ate, but I think it’s safe to assume ice cream factored heavily into the dessert selection.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39