Apr 5, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Troy Brouwer knows the Washington Capitals have to come flying out of the gate tonight versus Florida.
But he also knows they can’t fly out of the gate with their heads cut off.
“We need to play desperate, but at the same time we can’t make mistakes,” Brouwer said, as per the Washington Post.
“We better come out, we better have a lot of intensity, lot of desire; play very desperate and try to get an early lead and make sure that we’re taking care of the pucks as well. We can’t have turnovers; we can’t do too much and be too risky too early.”
To recap: Lots of intensity. But not so much intensity that it leads to mistakes. And push hard to get the first goal. Just don’t push too hard or mistakes will be made.
So…ever get the feeling the Caps have like zero confidence in themselves? Seriously, Brouwer sounds like a nervous guy before a first date.
OK, gotta be confident. Girls like confidence. But don’t be cocky. Girls don’t like cocky. Is this shirt too flashy? I don’t want to come across like a douchebag. Maybe I should wear something more conservative. But would I look too boring then? I think I’ll cancel.
And you wonder why Brooks Laich went on the radio and essentially guaranteed the Caps will make the playoffs. That’s what leaders do – they try to instill confidence in those around them.
But not too much confidence. That’s when mistakes happen.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)