Apr 5, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
The Boston Bruins will have another new face in goal this evening when Anton Khudobin makes his Bruins debut. Khudobin, 25, will be the fourth goalie Boston has used this season, joining the likes of Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask and Marty Turco.
Of all those goalies, Turco is the one Khudobin best relates to.
Turco, 36, was out of the league when the Bruins signed him to replace the injured Rask in March. Prior to joining Boston, he’d been playing in the Austrian league after failing to secure an NHL contract following a one-year stint in Chicago.
All told, Turco went almost an entire calendar year between NHL starts.
That’s something Khudobin can relate to. His last NHL start came with Minnesota in Jan. 2011 — a 4-1 win over Edmonton — and his career has been a whirlwind ever since. After the Oilers win, he was sent back Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Houston, then traded to Boston at the deadline and dispatched to AHL Providence, where he played well.
That strong finish in Providence paved the way for an emergency recall in last year’s playoffs, where he was included on the Bruins’ team picture and awarded a Stanley Cup ring.
Fast forward to today, where Khubodin will finally play for the Bruins. Needless to say, he’s stoked.
“It’s a great feeling. It’s always fun to play at this level. I’ve been waiting for this opportunity,” said Khudobin, who returned from a wrist injury in March. “We’ll see what happens before the game, but I’m sure there will be some butterflies there. It’s my first NHL start in a couple of years.
“But at the same time I’m ready to play and I’m pretty excited.”
There’s a possibility Khudobin could play an even bigger role in this year’s playoffs. With Rask still hurt and Turco postseason ineligible, there’s a strong chance Khudobin will be Thomas’ No. 2 when the playoffs start on Apr. 11.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)