Apr 4, 2012, 2:26 PM EDT
The hit had major ramifications. Firstly, it snapped Toronto into action as the Leafs proceeded to score three times in the next 16 minutes.
Secondly, it ended Gunnarsson’s season.
Today, the Leafs announced Gunnarsson suffered a separated shoulder on the play, an injury that will require 4-6 weeks of recovery. It’ll prevent him from playing in the final two games of the season and most likely the 2012 World Hockey Championships, where he had hoped to represent Team Sweden on home soil.
Not surprisingly, Gunnarsson was pissed about the injury.
Surprisingly, he wasn’t pissed at Foligno.
“I was pissed off,” he told TSN. “I was mad at myself for letting [myself] get injured; I didn’t protect myself the way I should have. I just wanted to go out there and keep playing, but it turned out I couldn’t do it.”
Gunnarsson tried to play another shift after the Foligno hit, but only lasted 51 seconds before calling it a night. He said he should’ve been more aware of his surroundings and protected himself better from Foligno, who goes 6-foot-2, 215-pounds.
“Situations similar to that happen a lot during the season,” he said. “That was just a bad move by me. I usually come out of it in a good way, try to spin off the guy and take the hit in the right way, but this time I didn’t do it and I’ve got to pay for it.”
It’s an unfortunate end to Gunnarsson’s solid campaign. He averaged a career-high 21:42 per game and was one shy of tying a career-high in assists.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)