Apr 4, 2012, 12:04 AM EST
Henrik Lundqvist made another argument for his first Vezina trophy victory on Tuesday as the New York Rangers survived against the potent Philadelphia Flyers offense to win the Atlantic Division and East’s first seed.
Believe it or not, things can’t always be golden for the Swedish stud, though. Katie Strang provides an update that might make Rangers fans queasy; Lundqvist appeared to hurt his arm a bit after making a big save tonight. He spoke about how he’s feeling while wrapping the injured limb in ice in the Rangers dressing room:
“It’s stiff. I can’t really grip on the outside,” Lundqvist said. “It’s tough to have balance on the stick. We’ll see how it feels in a couple of days. It’s probably going to be pretty stiff tomorrow.”
Well, yikes. It doesn’t sound like an enormously problematic injury, but hearing that is never a great thing. The good news is that the playoffs begin in eight days, however, so that should be ample time for the world-class netminder to get healthy.
One of the (ridiculous) criticisms of Lundqvist – the guy who won a gold medal for Sweden – is that he hasn’t had much postseason success, but now the Rangers finally have a team in front of him to give him a real chance. Not being 100 percent could put a serious dent in that opportunity, though.
(Of course, most players are unhealthy to some degree in the postseason, so maybe it will just come with the territory.)
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 7
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)