Apr 4, 2012, 12:04 AM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist made another argument for his first Vezina trophy victory on Tuesday as the New York Rangers survived against the potent Philadelphia Flyers offense to win the Atlantic Division and East’s first seed.
Believe it or not, things can’t always be golden for the Swedish stud, though. Katie Strang provides an update that might make Rangers fans queasy; Lundqvist appeared to hurt his arm a bit after making a big save tonight. He spoke about how he’s feeling while wrapping the injured limb in ice in the Rangers dressing room:
“It’s stiff. I can’t really grip on the outside,” Lundqvist said. “It’s tough to have balance on the stick. We’ll see how it feels in a couple of days. It’s probably going to be pretty stiff tomorrow.”
Well, yikes. It doesn’t sound like an enormously problematic injury, but hearing that is never a great thing. The good news is that the playoffs begin in eight days, however, so that should be ample time for the world-class netminder to get healthy.
One of the (ridiculous) criticisms of Lundqvist – the guy who won a gold medal for Sweden – is that he hasn’t had much postseason success, but now the Rangers finally have a team in front of him to give him a real chance. Not being 100 percent could put a serious dent in that opportunity, though.
(Of course, most players are unhealthy to some degree in the postseason, so maybe it will just come with the territory.)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)