Apr 4, 2012, 12:04 AM EST
Henrik Lundqvist made another argument for his first Vezina trophy victory on Tuesday as the New York Rangers survived against the potent Philadelphia Flyers offense to win the Atlantic Division and East’s first seed.
Believe it or not, things can’t always be golden for the Swedish stud, though. Katie Strang provides an update that might make Rangers fans queasy; Lundqvist appeared to hurt his arm a bit after making a big save tonight. He spoke about how he’s feeling while wrapping the injured limb in ice in the Rangers dressing room:
“It’s stiff. I can’t really grip on the outside,” Lundqvist said. “It’s tough to have balance on the stick. We’ll see how it feels in a couple of days. It’s probably going to be pretty stiff tomorrow.”
Well, yikes. It doesn’t sound like an enormously problematic injury, but hearing that is never a great thing. The good news is that the playoffs begin in eight days, however, so that should be ample time for the world-class netminder to get healthy.
One of the (ridiculous) criticisms of Lundqvist – the guy who won a gold medal for Sweden – is that he hasn’t had much postseason success, but now the Rangers finally have a team in front of him to give him a real chance. Not being 100 percent could put a serious dent in that opportunity, though.
(Of course, most players are unhealthy to some degree in the postseason, so maybe it will just come with the territory.)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)