Apr 4, 2012, 2:43 PM EST
If the Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs, they’ll now have to do it without two of their best defensemen.
Just 48 hours after announcing Christian Ehrhoff would miss the rest of the regular season, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff told reporters that Tyler Myers is done as well.
Ruff confirmed that Myers will not be available for the team’s final two regular season games this week in Philadelphia and Boston.
“He won’t be on the trip. Tyler’s out. It’ll be a period of time,” said Ruff. “What time frame that is? It’s more than just this week.”
Ruff wouldn’t divulge any specific details of the injury, only saying that Myers has a “bad foot.” Myers has missed the past two games after taking a shot to the foot late in Friday’s loss to Pittsburgh.
The losses of Ehrhoff and Myers have hit the Sabres hard as they’ve allowed 14 goals in their past three games, including five in Tuesday’s must-win over Toronto. The injuries have spread Buffalo’s blueline pretty thin — Alex Sulzer, who has played 27 games this year, got a season-high 24:35 of ice time against the Leafs; Brayden McNabb, who has spent most of the year in AHL Rochester, played over 14 minutes.
Ruff admitted things were dicey on his blueline last night, but said he and his coaching staff are working to fix it.
“Some of it was lack of communication. Some of it was the coverage. But we do have to tighten up, there’s no secret,” Ruff explained. “That’s on myself and my staff to make sure that we tighten up those areas so it’s not a game where you give 16 or 17 (chances). We’ve got to get it back to the norm, which is somewhere around 10 or 11, in that area.”
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 1
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 8
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)