Apr 4, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
If the Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs, they’ll now have to do it without two of their best defensemen.
Just 48 hours after announcing Christian Ehrhoff would miss the rest of the regular season, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff told reporters that Tyler Myers is done as well.
Ruff confirmed that Myers will not be available for the team’s final two regular season games this week in Philadelphia and Boston.
“He won’t be on the trip. Tyler’s out. It’ll be a period of time,” said Ruff. “What time frame that is? It’s more than just this week.”
Ruff wouldn’t divulge any specific details of the injury, only saying that Myers has a “bad foot.” Myers has missed the past two games after taking a shot to the foot late in Friday’s loss to Pittsburgh.
The losses of Ehrhoff and Myers have hit the Sabres hard as they’ve allowed 14 goals in their past three games, including five in Tuesday’s must-win over Toronto. The injuries have spread Buffalo’s blueline pretty thin — Alex Sulzer, who has played 27 games this year, got a season-high 24:35 of ice time against the Leafs; Brayden McNabb, who has spent most of the year in AHL Rochester, played over 14 minutes.
Ruff admitted things were dicey on his blueline last night, but said he and his coaching staff are working to fix it.
“Some of it was lack of communication. Some of it was the coverage. But we do have to tighten up, there’s no secret,” Ruff explained. “That’s on myself and my staff to make sure that we tighten up those areas so it’s not a game where you give 16 or 17 (chances). We’ve got to get it back to the norm, which is somewhere around 10 or 11, in that area.”
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)