Apr 4, 2012, 11:23 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have done a lot to show that they’re not just the flavor of the month, but topping their big brothers from Detroit is a mountain they still need to climb. After winning the first two games of the season series, St. Louis lost four straight games against the Red Wings, including tonight’s 3-2 shootout thriller on NBC Sports Network.
A questionable Ryan Reaves hit seemed primed to be one of the biggest talking points of the game until the Red Wings’ ensuing major power-play advantage ended up blowing up in their faces. David Perron scored a shorthanded beauty to make it 1-0 and then a Detroit penalty allowed gave Andy McDonald the chance to score a 4-on-4 goal to give St. Louis a 2-0 lead midway through the final frame.
Normally that would be an ample lead for stingy St. Louis, but this is mean big brother Detroit we’re talking about. Some dazzling work from Pavel Datsyuk (redundant, I know) opened the door for two Johan Franzen goals and the Red Wings eventually benefited from Todd Bertuzzi‘s 10th shootout goal to prevail in a useful win for the old standbys.
Those two goals were extra-shocking because Elliott’s shutout streak was ended at 241 minutes and 33 minutes, which in true Elliott fashion sort of slipped under the radar.
Check out highlights from the game below:
The impact for both teams
The Central Division is still firmly in the Blues’ control, but this loss damages their chance to take the Presidents’ Trophy and No. 1 seed in the West. St. Louis sits two points behind Vancouver for the West’s top seed with the tiebreaker advantage and two games left apiece. The Rangers also have a two-point lead with two games remaining but have more regulation/OT wins than the Blues.
In other words, it seems like the Red Wings spoiled the Blues’ chances of winning something they’re usually in the running for: the Presidents’ Trophy. Instead, Detroit is wrestling for at least one round of home ice advantage. They took a one-point lead over the Nashville Predators for fourth place in the West with both teams also having two games left, but things should remain interesting as Nashville holds the tiebreaker.
Long story short, it wasn’t an enormous loss for St. Louis while Detroit squeezed out two points that could be huge considering its overall road woes.
Perhaps the Red Wings also planted the seed of doubt if the two teams happen to meet in the playoffs.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)