Apr 4, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
The Canucks won their seventh in a row last night, battling back to beat Anaheim 5-4 in a shootout. But Vancouver being Vancouver, obviously the only thing everyone’s talking about today is the goaltending. Specifically, the fact Robert Luongo allowed four goals on 15 shots and the crowd at Rogers Arena cheered loudly when he was replaced by Cory Schneider.
From The Province:
In most years, make that in every year before this one, [Luongo’s] outing would have been essentially brushed aside. Loose team, with a loose goalie in a (mostly) mean-nothing game.
Who cares? Wake us up when it’s for real.
But this isn’t most years. This is a Vancouver Canucks team with a finite window, whose only real goal is to win it all. This is a Vancouver Canucks team with a backup goalie who started Tuesday with a 9-2-1 record, a 1.50 GAA and a .952 save percentage since the all-star break.
Oh, it’s easy to love the backup. But it’s never been this easy.
Luongo provided the predictable “it is what it is” comment when asked about the crowd’s reaction, adding, “I play with a lot of heart and unfortunately I am as disappointed as everybody else. You just put it behind you and move on.”
Safe to say he heard the crowd’s cheers loud and clear.
Vancouver has two games left before the playoffs. Luongo will get a chance to put last night behind him. And yes, his teammates have his back.
“None of those goals were Lu’s fault,” Henrik Sedin said. “Those were bang-bang plays. Guys were just walking in. It was a tough night for him because we gave up those chances.”
But a lot of Canucks fans have already made up their minds, and they want Schneider.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)