Apr 4, 2012, 1:05 PM EST
The Calgary Flames are guaranteed to miss the playoffs for the third straight time. They’re one of the oldest teams in the NHL. They have one of the highest payrolls. The whole situation screams rebuild.
But not to Flames forward Mike Cammalleri.
“Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild — that’s the word you hear,” said Cammalleri, as per the Calgary Herald. “This whole rebuild thing? It used to be that you’d rebuild for how many years? Five years or whatever it was. So what are you calling it now? Rebuild? Restructure?”
Whatever they’re going to call it, the Flames need to re-something with their roster, because the current one’s not cutting it.
Granted, that’s easier said than done. As the Herald points out, Calgary has 15 players under contract for next season. On top of that, most of those players have some sort of no-trade clause. (And in the case of Matt Stajan, the other 29 teams in the league have a no-trade-him-to-us clause.)
“Really, it’s a reload, a restructure,” said Cammalleri. “That’s kind of what you do nowadays. I think that’s how most teams are doing it, anyways.”
(For example, the Leafs.)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)