Apr 4, 2012, 1:05 PM EST
The Calgary Flames are guaranteed to miss the playoffs for the third straight time. They’re one of the oldest teams in the NHL. They have one of the highest payrolls. The whole situation screams rebuild.
But not to Flames forward Mike Cammalleri.
“Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild — that’s the word you hear,” said Cammalleri, as per the Calgary Herald. “This whole rebuild thing? It used to be that you’d rebuild for how many years? Five years or whatever it was. So what are you calling it now? Rebuild? Restructure?”
Whatever they’re going to call it, the Flames need to re-something with their roster, because the current one’s not cutting it.
Granted, that’s easier said than done. As the Herald points out, Calgary has 15 players under contract for next season. On top of that, most of those players have some sort of no-trade clause. (And in the case of Matt Stajan, the other 29 teams in the league have a no-trade-him-to-us clause.)
“Really, it’s a reload, a restructure,” said Cammalleri. “That’s kind of what you do nowadays. I think that’s how most teams are doing it, anyways.”
(For example, the Leafs.)
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)