Apr 4, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are guaranteed to miss the playoffs for the third straight time. They’re one of the oldest teams in the NHL. They have one of the highest payrolls. The whole situation screams rebuild.
But not to Flames forward Mike Cammalleri.
“Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild — that’s the word you hear,” said Cammalleri, as per the Calgary Herald. “This whole rebuild thing? It used to be that you’d rebuild for how many years? Five years or whatever it was. So what are you calling it now? Rebuild? Restructure?”
Whatever they’re going to call it, the Flames need to re-something with their roster, because the current one’s not cutting it.
Granted, that’s easier said than done. As the Herald points out, Calgary has 15 players under contract for next season. On top of that, most of those players have some sort of no-trade clause. (And in the case of Matt Stajan, the other 29 teams in the league have a no-trade-him-to-us clause.)
“Really, it’s a reload, a restructure,” said Cammalleri. “That’s kind of what you do nowadays. I think that’s how most teams are doing it, anyways.”
(For example, the Leafs.)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)