Apr 4, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are guaranteed to miss the playoffs for the third straight time. They’re one of the oldest teams in the NHL. They have one of the highest payrolls. The whole situation screams rebuild.
But not to Flames forward Mike Cammalleri.
“Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild — that’s the word you hear,” said Cammalleri, as per the Calgary Herald. “This whole rebuild thing? It used to be that you’d rebuild for how many years? Five years or whatever it was. So what are you calling it now? Rebuild? Restructure?”
Whatever they’re going to call it, the Flames need to re-something with their roster, because the current one’s not cutting it.
Granted, that’s easier said than done. As the Herald points out, Calgary has 15 players under contract for next season. On top of that, most of those players have some sort of no-trade clause. (And in the case of Matt Stajan, the other 29 teams in the league have a no-trade-him-to-us clause.)
“Really, it’s a reload, a restructure,” said Cammalleri. “That’s kind of what you do nowadays. I think that’s how most teams are doing it, anyways.”
(For example, the Leafs.)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)