Apr 4, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
Duncan Keith has served his five-game suspension for elbowing Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin in the head. During that time, Chicago still managed to post a decent 2-1-2 record while Keith rested up and added some muscle in preparation for the Blackhawks’ playoff run.
“I don’t think taking a suspension is ever a good thing,” Keith said. “But if you’re trying to look for the positives, I guess getting some rest at this point of the year would be beneficial. I didn’t feel like I needed rest. I’ve been able to play a lot of games every year.”
Keith averages 26:53 minutes per game, the second most in the NHL, so for him to get a break just before the playoffs might actually end up helping the Blackhawks in the long run. The difference between Keith getting five games over a purely theoretical seven-game suspension means that he’ll also have a bit of time to shake off the rust before the playoffs start.
That said being said, it is worth adding that Keith forfeited $149,688.15 as a result of this suspension.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)