Apr 4, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
Duncan Keith has served his five-game suspension for elbowing Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin in the head. During that time, Chicago still managed to post a decent 2-1-2 record while Keith rested up and added some muscle in preparation for the Blackhawks’ playoff run.
“I don’t think taking a suspension is ever a good thing,” Keith said. “But if you’re trying to look for the positives, I guess getting some rest at this point of the year would be beneficial. I didn’t feel like I needed rest. I’ve been able to play a lot of games every year.”
Keith averages 26:53 minutes per game, the second most in the NHL, so for him to get a break just before the playoffs might actually end up helping the Blackhawks in the long run. The difference between Keith getting five games over a purely theoretical seven-game suspension means that he’ll also have a bit of time to shake off the rust before the playoffs start.
That said being said, it is worth adding that Keith forfeited $149,688.15 as a result of this suspension.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 1
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 13
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)