Apr 4, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
Duncan Keith has served his five-game suspension for elbowing Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin in the head. During that time, Chicago still managed to post a decent 2-1-2 record while Keith rested up and added some muscle in preparation for the Blackhawks’ playoff run.
“I don’t think taking a suspension is ever a good thing,” Keith said. “But if you’re trying to look for the positives, I guess getting some rest at this point of the year would be beneficial. I didn’t feel like I needed rest. I’ve been able to play a lot of games every year.”
Keith averages 26:53 minutes per game, the second most in the NHL, so for him to get a break just before the playoffs might actually end up helping the Blackhawks in the long run. The difference between Keith getting five games over a purely theoretical seven-game suspension means that he’ll also have a bit of time to shake off the rust before the playoffs start.
That said being said, it is worth adding that Keith forfeited $149,688.15 as a result of this suspension.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (51)