Apr 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
The day after Canucks fans cheered Roberto Luongo getting pulled from a game, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis appeared on local radio and backed his under-fire netminder.
“We have two games left here to play, we have to get through them without injury,” Gillis told TEAM 1040. “If Roberto’s healthy, I’m sure he’ll be starting Game 1 of the playoffs.”
Luongo was yanked from Tuesday’s game against Anaheim after allowing four goals on 15 shots, replaced by Cory Schneider. The Canucks rallied behind Schneider for a 5-4 shootout victory, meaning the backup now has a 10-2-1 record with a 1.42 GAA and .953 save percentage since the All-Star break.
He’ll get one more opportunity to play before ceding the goal to Luongo for the foreseeable future. According to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, Schneider will start Vancouver’s final road game of the year — Thursday night in Calgary — while Luongo will get the nod in the season finale Saturday against Edmonton, then the postseason opener.
Of note? Today is Luongo’s birthday. Can’t imagine a better way to celebrate it!
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)