Apr 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
The day after Canucks fans cheered Roberto Luongo getting pulled from a game, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis appeared on local radio and backed his under-fire netminder.
“We have two games left here to play, we have to get through them without injury,” Gillis told TEAM 1040. “If Roberto’s healthy, I’m sure he’ll be starting Game 1 of the playoffs.”
Luongo was yanked from Tuesday’s game against Anaheim after allowing four goals on 15 shots, replaced by Cory Schneider. The Canucks rallied behind Schneider for a 5-4 shootout victory, meaning the backup now has a 10-2-1 record with a 1.42 GAA and .953 save percentage since the All-Star break.
He’ll get one more opportunity to play before ceding the goal to Luongo for the foreseeable future. According to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, Schneider will start Vancouver’s final road game of the year — Thursday night in Calgary — while Luongo will get the nod in the season finale Saturday against Edmonton, then the postseason opener.
Of note? Today is Luongo’s birthday. Can’t imagine a better way to celebrate it!
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)