Apr 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
The day after Canucks fans cheered Roberto Luongo getting pulled from a game, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis appeared on local radio and backed his under-fire netminder.
“We have two games left here to play, we have to get through them without injury,” Gillis told TEAM 1040. “If Roberto’s healthy, I’m sure he’ll be starting Game 1 of the playoffs.”
Luongo was yanked from Tuesday’s game against Anaheim after allowing four goals on 15 shots, replaced by Cory Schneider. The Canucks rallied behind Schneider for a 5-4 shootout victory, meaning the backup now has a 10-2-1 record with a 1.42 GAA and .953 save percentage since the All-Star break.
He’ll get one more opportunity to play before ceding the goal to Luongo for the foreseeable future. According to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, Schneider will start Vancouver’s final road game of the year — Thursday night in Calgary — while Luongo will get the nod in the season finale Saturday against Edmonton, then the postseason opener.
Of note? Today is Luongo’s birthday. Can’t imagine a better way to celebrate it!
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 21
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 21
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 76
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 109
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (111)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful