Apr 4, 2012, 8:45 AM EST
Dustin Byfuglien is injured and his team has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but he’s going to continue to play anyways. Jets coach Claude Noel made that announcement Tuesday after considering resting Byfuglien due to a bone bruise.
“He still has the same issue, and he’ll have it the rest of the year,” Jets coach Claude Noel. “It’s something we deal with.”
After serving as a forward with Chicago, Byfuglien started the 2010-11 season as a blueliner with the Atlanta Thrashers. He established himself as one of the top offensive defensemen in the league with 53 points in 81 games. However, he had to prove himself all over again this season after going cold in the second half of 2010-11 and reportedly weighing 286 lbs over the summer.
Byfuglien responded to his critics by recording 50 points in 64 games this season. If nothing else, he’s better at directly contributing to goals than almost any other defensemen in the league.
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 7
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 34
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)