Apr 4, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Dustin Byfuglien is injured and his team has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but he’s going to continue to play anyways. Jets coach Claude Noel made that announcement Tuesday after considering resting Byfuglien due to a bone bruise.
“He still has the same issue, and he’ll have it the rest of the year,” Jets coach Claude Noel. “It’s something we deal with.”
After serving as a forward with Chicago, Byfuglien started the 2010-11 season as a blueliner with the Atlanta Thrashers. He established himself as one of the top offensive defensemen in the league with 53 points in 81 games. However, he had to prove himself all over again this season after going cold in the second half of 2010-11 and reportedly weighing 286 lbs over the summer.
Byfuglien responded to his critics by recording 50 points in 64 games this season. If nothing else, he’s better at directly contributing to goals than almost any other defensemen in the league.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (48)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)