Apr 4, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins are locked into the second seed, so they didn’t need a win against the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday night. What they needed was to simply stay healthy as they get ready for the playoffs. That’s why Johnny Boychuk suffering a left knee injury during Tuesday’s game might hurt the Bruins far more than the actual 5-3 defeat.
Boychuk’s knee buckled because of a knee-on-knee collision with Pittsburgh’s Arron Asham. After going down, Boychuk was then helped off the ice by his teammates. Boychuk appeared to be limping after the game and while he claimed to be fine, he wasn’t sure if he’d be available for Wednesday’s practice.
“With those kinds of injuries, you’ve got to kind of let the night go by and the next day you get a better idea,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “We’re keeping our fingers crossed right now that it’s not bad news, so that’s all we can hope for right now.”
Boychuk eats up over 20 minutes a game for the Bruins and has been great defensively. It would be a significant setback for the Bruins if he starts the playoffs on the sidelines.
You can view the hit and watch further analysis below:
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)