Apr 4, 2012, 8:08 AM EST
The Boston Bruins are locked into the second seed, so they didn’t need a win against the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday night. What they needed was to simply stay healthy as they get ready for the playoffs. That’s why Johnny Boychuk suffering a left knee injury during Tuesday’s game might hurt the Bruins far more than the actual 5-3 defeat.
Boychuk’s knee buckled because of a knee-on-knee collision with Pittsburgh’s Arron Asham. After going down, Boychuk was then helped off the ice by his teammates. Boychuk appeared to be limping after the game and while he claimed to be fine, he wasn’t sure if he’d be available for Wednesday’s practice.
“With those kinds of injuries, you’ve got to kind of let the night go by and the next day you get a better idea,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “We’re keeping our fingers crossed right now that it’s not bad news, so that’s all we can hope for right now.”
Boychuk eats up over 20 minutes a game for the Bruins and has been great defensively. It would be a significant setback for the Bruins if he starts the playoffs on the sidelines.
You can view the hit and watch further analysis below:
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)