Apr 4, 2012, 8:08 AM EST
The Boston Bruins are locked into the second seed, so they didn’t need a win against the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday night. What they needed was to simply stay healthy as they get ready for the playoffs. That’s why Johnny Boychuk suffering a left knee injury during Tuesday’s game might hurt the Bruins far more than the actual 5-3 defeat.
Boychuk’s knee buckled because of a knee-on-knee collision with Pittsburgh’s Arron Asham. After going down, Boychuk was then helped off the ice by his teammates. Boychuk appeared to be limping after the game and while he claimed to be fine, he wasn’t sure if he’d be available for Wednesday’s practice.
“With those kinds of injuries, you’ve got to kind of let the night go by and the next day you get a better idea,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “We’re keeping our fingers crossed right now that it’s not bad news, so that’s all we can hope for right now.”
Boychuk eats up over 20 minutes a game for the Bruins and has been great defensively. It would be a significant setback for the Bruins if he starts the playoffs on the sidelines.
You can view the hit and watch further analysis below:
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)