Apr 4, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins are locked into the second seed, so they didn’t need a win against the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday night. What they needed was to simply stay healthy as they get ready for the playoffs. That’s why Johnny Boychuk suffering a left knee injury during Tuesday’s game might hurt the Bruins far more than the actual 5-3 defeat.
Boychuk’s knee buckled because of a knee-on-knee collision with Pittsburgh’s Arron Asham. After going down, Boychuk was then helped off the ice by his teammates. Boychuk appeared to be limping after the game and while he claimed to be fine, he wasn’t sure if he’d be available for Wednesday’s practice.
“With those kinds of injuries, you’ve got to kind of let the night go by and the next day you get a better idea,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “We’re keeping our fingers crossed right now that it’s not bad news, so that’s all we can hope for right now.”
Boychuk eats up over 20 minutes a game for the Bruins and has been great defensively. It would be a significant setback for the Bruins if he starts the playoffs on the sidelines.
You can view the hit and watch further analysis below:
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 13
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)