Apr 4, 2012, 8:08 AM EST
The Boston Bruins are locked into the second seed, so they didn’t need a win against the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday night. What they needed was to simply stay healthy as they get ready for the playoffs. That’s why Johnny Boychuk suffering a left knee injury during Tuesday’s game might hurt the Bruins far more than the actual 5-3 defeat.
Boychuk’s knee buckled because of a knee-on-knee collision with Pittsburgh’s Arron Asham. After going down, Boychuk was then helped off the ice by his teammates. Boychuk appeared to be limping after the game and while he claimed to be fine, he wasn’t sure if he’d be available for Wednesday’s practice.
“With those kinds of injuries, you’ve got to kind of let the night go by and the next day you get a better idea,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “We’re keeping our fingers crossed right now that it’s not bad news, so that’s all we can hope for right now.”
Boychuk eats up over 20 minutes a game for the Bruins and has been great defensively. It would be a significant setback for the Bruins if he starts the playoffs on the sidelines.
You can view the hit and watch further analysis below:
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 38
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)