Apr 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien told reporters he’d like to get Tim Thomas some rest.
Well, mission accomplished.
According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, the Bruins won’t dress Thomas for Tuesday’s game against Pittsburgh. It’s a rather abrupt decision — Haggerty had written Thomas would “most likely” rest after the Penguins game — especially since it comes against Pittsburgh, an elite Eastern Conference team.
On Sunday, Thomas got the nod against another Eastern elite in the Rangers and stopped 33 of 34 shots for a 2-1 victory, one that clinched Boston’s third straight Northeast Division title.
(Of note, Julien said Thomas will play again before the season is over. “He’s not being shut down, if that’s what you’re asking,” he told reporters.)
This paves the way for Anton Khudobin to make his regular-season debut at some point this week. The 25-year-old Russian has spent the entire year with AHL Providence but, given the injury to Tuukka Rask and Marty Turco‘s postseason ineligibility, could be Thomas’ backup when the playoffs begin on Apr. 11.
If that’s the case, no surprise Boston wants to get him some game action down the stretch. Khudobin has gone 21-19-3 in 44 games with a 2.61 GAA and .919 save percentage in Providence, but missed a large portion of March with a wrist injury.
– Haggerty tweeted that it “appears” Turco will start vs. Pittsburgh.
– Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston reports forward Gregory Campbell will be back in the lineup tonight.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)