Apr 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien told reporters he’d like to get Tim Thomas some rest.
Well, mission accomplished.
According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, the Bruins won’t dress Thomas for Tuesday’s game against Pittsburgh. It’s a rather abrupt decision — Haggerty had written Thomas would “most likely” rest after the Penguins game — especially since it comes against Pittsburgh, an elite Eastern Conference team.
On Sunday, Thomas got the nod against another Eastern elite in the Rangers and stopped 33 of 34 shots for a 2-1 victory, one that clinched Boston’s third straight Northeast Division title.
(Of note, Julien said Thomas will play again before the season is over. “He’s not being shut down, if that’s what you’re asking,” he told reporters.)
This paves the way for Anton Khudobin to make his regular-season debut at some point this week. The 25-year-old Russian has spent the entire year with AHL Providence but, given the injury to Tuukka Rask and Marty Turco‘s postseason ineligibility, could be Thomas’ backup when the playoffs begin on Apr. 11.
If that’s the case, no surprise Boston wants to get him some game action down the stretch. Khudobin has gone 21-19-3 in 44 games with a 2.61 GAA and .919 save percentage in Providence, but missed a large portion of March with a wrist injury.
– Haggerty tweeted that it “appears” Turco will start vs. Pittsburgh.
– Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston reports forward Gregory Campbell will be back in the lineup tonight.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 25
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 12
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 82
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2