Apr 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien told reporters he’d like to get Tim Thomas some rest.
Well, mission accomplished.
According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, the Bruins won’t dress Thomas for Tuesday’s game against Pittsburgh. It’s a rather abrupt decision — Haggerty had written Thomas would “most likely” rest after the Penguins game — especially since it comes against Pittsburgh, an elite Eastern Conference team.
On Sunday, Thomas got the nod against another Eastern elite in the Rangers and stopped 33 of 34 shots for a 2-1 victory, one that clinched Boston’s third straight Northeast Division title.
(Of note, Julien said Thomas will play again before the season is over. “He’s not being shut down, if that’s what you’re asking,” he told reporters.)
This paves the way for Anton Khudobin to make his regular-season debut at some point this week. The 25-year-old Russian has spent the entire year with AHL Providence but, given the injury to Tuukka Rask and Marty Turco‘s postseason ineligibility, could be Thomas’ backup when the playoffs begin on Apr. 11.
If that’s the case, no surprise Boston wants to get him some game action down the stretch. Khudobin has gone 21-19-3 in 44 games with a 2.61 GAA and .919 save percentage in Providence, but missed a large portion of March with a wrist injury.
— Haggerty tweeted that it “appears” Turco will start vs. Pittsburgh.
— Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston reports forward Gregory Campbell will be back in the lineup tonight.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25