Apr 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien told reporters he’d like to get Tim Thomas some rest.
Well, mission accomplished.
According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, the Bruins won’t dress Thomas for Tuesday’s game against Pittsburgh. It’s a rather abrupt decision — Haggerty had written Thomas would “most likely” rest after the Penguins game — especially since it comes against Pittsburgh, an elite Eastern Conference team.
On Sunday, Thomas got the nod against another Eastern elite in the Rangers and stopped 33 of 34 shots for a 2-1 victory, one that clinched Boston’s third straight Northeast Division title.
(Of note, Julien said Thomas will play again before the season is over. “He’s not being shut down, if that’s what you’re asking,” he told reporters.)
This paves the way for Anton Khudobin to make his regular-season debut at some point this week. The 25-year-old Russian has spent the entire year with AHL Providence but, given the injury to Tuukka Rask and Marty Turco‘s postseason ineligibility, could be Thomas’ backup when the playoffs begin on Apr. 11.
If that’s the case, no surprise Boston wants to get him some game action down the stretch. Khudobin has gone 21-19-3 in 44 games with a 2.61 GAA and .919 save percentage in Providence, but missed a large portion of March with a wrist injury.
— Haggerty tweeted that it “appears” Turco will start vs. Pittsburgh.
— Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston reports forward Gregory Campbell will be back in the lineup tonight.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)