Apr 3, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien told reporters he’d like to get Tim Thomas some rest.
Well, mission accomplished.
According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, the Bruins won’t dress Thomas for Tuesday’s game against Pittsburgh. It’s a rather abrupt decision — Haggerty had written Thomas would “most likely” rest after the Penguins game — especially since it comes against Pittsburgh, an elite Eastern Conference team.
On Sunday, Thomas got the nod against another Eastern elite in the Rangers and stopped 33 of 34 shots for a 2-1 victory, one that clinched Boston’s third straight Northeast Division title.
(Of note, Julien said Thomas will play again before the season is over. “He’s not being shut down, if that’s what you’re asking,” he told reporters.)
This paves the way for Anton Khudobin to make his regular-season debut at some point this week. The 25-year-old Russian has spent the entire year with AHL Providence but, given the injury to Tuukka Rask and Marty Turco‘s postseason ineligibility, could be Thomas’ backup when the playoffs begin on Apr. 11.
If that’s the case, no surprise Boston wants to get him some game action down the stretch. Khudobin has gone 21-19-3 in 44 games with a 2.61 GAA and .919 save percentage in Providence, but missed a large portion of March with a wrist injury.
– Haggerty tweeted that it “appears” Turco will start vs. Pittsburgh.
– Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston reports forward Gregory Campbell will be back in the lineup tonight.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54