Apr 3, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
Larry Brooks of the New York Post has broken some key news involving Rangers prospect and Boston College scoring sensation Chris Kreider.
Brooks reports that, since Kreider was on the Rangers’ reserve list at the Feb. 27 trade deadline, New York faces no deadline to sign him in order to secure his playoff eligibility.
This contrasts what CBC’s Elliott Friedman wrote in his most recent “30 Thoughts” column:
The timing of the NCAA’s Frozen Four final is a major headache for the Rangers. If Chris Kreider’s Boston College team makes it to the title game (the semis are Thursday), things will finish around 10 p.m. EDT Saturday night.
But, to have Kreider for the playoffs, he must be signed by the end of the regular season, which is the same evening. Usually, this process needs about 24 hours. You can bet teams are verrry interested to see if New York is given any latitude should BC get that far.
Brooks confirmed “with multiple sources” that, according to bylaw 28, players are eligible to play in the playoffs if they are on their respective team’s reserve list as of 3 p.m. the day of the deadline — which Kreider reportedly was.
The report also states that, back on the 28th, Rangers GM Glen Sather told The Post he “intends and expects” to sign Kreider at the conclusion of the Frozen Four.
This could be a big development for the Rangers. While some scoff at the idea of a 20-year-old with zero NHL experience making a playoff impact, Kreider has played with NHLers on a big stage (the 2011 World Hockey Championships), scoring 2G-1A-3PTS in seven games as Team USA advanced to the quarterfinal round.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)