Apr 3, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
Larry Brooks of the New York Post has broken some key news involving Rangers prospect and Boston College scoring sensation Chris Kreider.
Brooks reports that, since Kreider was on the Rangers’ reserve list at the Feb. 27 trade deadline, New York faces no deadline to sign him in order to secure his playoff eligibility.
This contrasts what CBC’s Elliott Friedman wrote in his most recent “30 Thoughts” column:
The timing of the NCAA’s Frozen Four final is a major headache for the Rangers. If Chris Kreider’s Boston College team makes it to the title game (the semis are Thursday), things will finish around 10 p.m. EDT Saturday night.
But, to have Kreider for the playoffs, he must be signed by the end of the regular season, which is the same evening. Usually, this process needs about 24 hours. You can bet teams are verrry interested to see if New York is given any latitude should BC get that far.
Brooks confirmed “with multiple sources” that, according to bylaw 28, players are eligible to play in the playoffs if they are on their respective team’s reserve list as of 3 p.m. the day of the deadline — which Kreider reportedly was.
The report also states that, back on the 28th, Rangers GM Glen Sather told The Post he “intends and expects” to sign Kreider at the conclusion of the Frozen Four.
This could be a big development for the Rangers. While some scoff at the idea of a 20-year-old with zero NHL experience making a playoff impact, Kreider has played with NHLers on a big stage (the 2011 World Hockey Championships), scoring 2G-1A-3PTS in seven games as Team USA advanced to the quarterfinal round.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22