Apr 3, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
The race to “win” the East’s eighth seed is becoming quite the comedy of errors, with the Washington Capitals, Buffalo Sabres and maybe even Florida Panthers trying to lose less than the other teams. Whoever ends up in that spot better get their act together, too, because they’re now guaranteed a match against the feisty and focused New York Rangers.
John Tortorella’s gang clinched the Atlantic Division – and with that, the No. 1 spot in the Eastern Conference – by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 5-3.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The game began very ugly for Ilya Bryzgalov and the rest of the team as the Rangers went into the first intermission with a 4-0 lead. Few leads are safe against the Flyers – even as great as New York can be at stopping opposing offenses – so things evened out, but not enough to keep Henrik Lundqvist from winning his 39th game of 2011-12.
This marks the Rangers’ first division title since they locked one up in 1994, a year that might be important to a handful of fans. (Just throwing it out there.) Speaking of which, this earlier post comparing this team to the last Stanley Cup-winning, Mark Messier-powered bunch might hold a little more water today.
Of course, New York still has a way to go before we can watch Ryan Callahan spazz out with the Cup like Messier did in those great clips.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)