Apr 3, 2012, 8:02 AM EST
The Kings outshot Edmonton 28-14 through 40 minutes, but they had trouble finding the back of the net with Jeff Carter (ankle) out of the lineup. Finally, Slava Voynov launched a one-timer that beat Edmonton goaltender Devan Dubnyk just 34 seconds into the third period. Dwight King added an insurance goal for the Kings roughly 17 minutes later.
Quick has now allowed just two goals in his last four starts, although that feat is slightly less impressive when you factor in that he’s only faced 77 shots over that span. Two of those games have been against the Oilers, who have no shot of making the playoffs, and the slumping Calgary Flames. The Kings defense has done a great job of limiting those teams shots on goal and helping their goaltender.
All the same, Quick has to be seen as a serious contender for the Vezina Trophy. His GAA is second only to Brian Elliott, who started in about half as many games, and his save percentage ranks fourth in the list, just slightly below Henrik Lundqvist.
From a team perspective, the Los Angeles Kings now have a two-point lead over the Phoenix Coyotes in the race for the Pacific Division title, but the Kings have also played in one more game. Phoenix can maintain pressure on the Kings by beating the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday.
The San Jose Sharks are also still a serious threat to win the division. They can pull within one-point of the Kings by beating the Dallas Stars on Tuesday. The Sharks and Kings will then finish the season with a home-and-home series against each other.
This was Edmonton’s last chance to complicate a team’s playoff aspirations. They will play against the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday in a game that won’t mean much to either squad. Edmonton will then finish their season in Vancouver on Saturday in a contest that might determine if the Vancouver Canucks secure the first seed and, possibly, even their second straight Presidents’ Trophy.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)