Apr 3, 2012, 8:02 AM EST
The Kings outshot Edmonton 28-14 through 40 minutes, but they had trouble finding the back of the net with Jeff Carter (ankle) out of the lineup. Finally, Slava Voynov launched a one-timer that beat Edmonton goaltender Devan Dubnyk just 34 seconds into the third period. Dwight King added an insurance goal for the Kings roughly 17 minutes later.
Quick has now allowed just two goals in his last four starts, although that feat is slightly less impressive when you factor in that he’s only faced 77 shots over that span. Two of those games have been against the Oilers, who have no shot of making the playoffs, and the slumping Calgary Flames. The Kings defense has done a great job of limiting those teams shots on goal and helping their goaltender.
All the same, Quick has to be seen as a serious contender for the Vezina Trophy. His GAA is second only to Brian Elliott, who started in about half as many games, and his save percentage ranks fourth in the list, just slightly below Henrik Lundqvist.
From a team perspective, the Los Angeles Kings now have a two-point lead over the Phoenix Coyotes in the race for the Pacific Division title, but the Kings have also played in one more game. Phoenix can maintain pressure on the Kings by beating the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday.
The San Jose Sharks are also still a serious threat to win the division. They can pull within one-point of the Kings by beating the Dallas Stars on Tuesday. The Sharks and Kings will then finish the season with a home-and-home series against each other.
This was Edmonton’s last chance to complicate a team’s playoff aspirations. They will play against the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday in a game that won’t mean much to either squad. Edmonton will then finish their season in Vancouver on Saturday in a contest that might determine if the Vancouver Canucks secure the first seed and, possibly, even their second straight Presidents’ Trophy.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)