Apr 3, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
If Dallas loses to San Jose in regulation tonight at home and the Coyotes beat Columbus at home, the Stars will wake up tomorrow three points out of a playoff spot with just two games left — one of those games in Nashville, the other versus St. Louis.
In other words, they’ll be pretty much screwed.
That’s the bad news.
The good news for the Stars is they’ll be in good shape with a regulation win. That would move them a point up on the Sharks, plus Dallas is guaranteed to have the tiebreaker over San Jose.
So yeah, fairly important game tonight at the American Airlines Center.
“This game either puts us in the driver’s seat or takes us out of it, so it’s pretty big,” Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said yesterday, as per The Dallas Morning News. “We’re still in a position where we have everything in our control. You’ve got to win games to get in and it’s nice to know that if we do, we control our own destiny.”
The Stars have only beaten the Sharks once in five tries this season.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 3
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 8
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 5
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2