Apr 3, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
If Dallas loses to San Jose in regulation tonight at home and the Coyotes beat Columbus at home, the Stars will wake up tomorrow three points out of a playoff spot with just two games left — one of those games in Nashville, the other versus St. Louis.
In other words, they’ll be pretty much screwed.
That’s the bad news.
The good news for the Stars is they’ll be in good shape with a regulation win. That would move them a point up on the Sharks, plus Dallas is guaranteed to have the tiebreaker over San Jose.
So yeah, fairly important game tonight at the American Airlines Center.
“This game either puts us in the driver’s seat or takes us out of it, so it’s pretty big,” Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said yesterday, as per The Dallas Morning News. “We’re still in a position where we have everything in our control. You’ve got to win games to get in and it’s nice to know that if we do, we control our own destiny.”
The Stars have only beaten the Sharks once in five tries this season.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)