Apr 3, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Patrick Kane has been called many things during his five-year career.
“Maturing leader” hasn’t often been one of them.
But perceptions seem to be changing as Kane, 23, has assumed a sort-of guidance counselor role in Chicago. Given the number of youngsters that have dressed for the ‘Hawks this season — Brandon Saad (19 years old), Nick Leddy (20), Jeremy Morin (20), Brandon Pirri (20) and Andrew Shaw (20) — Kane says he’s taking it upon himself to teach the kids the ways of the NHL.
“They’re great guys, easy to get along with. They’re really enjoying their time in the NHL and are really enthusiastic and just excited to be here,” he told the Chicago Daily Herald. “It’s nice to be around them — fun to have that youthful energy and excitement.
“I know I’m only 23 years old, but I’d like to think I’m one of those guys that takes them under my wing and shows them the ropes a little bit.”
Admittedly, it’s funny to hear Kane talk like this. He was, after all, at the forefront of limo-gate, taxi-gate and an eponymous category at Deadspin (which included the “Patrick Kane Is More Alcohol Than Man At This Point” photo gallery.)
Some would contend there’s not a worse mentor for up-and-coming NHLers, but Kane contends he’s a good choice — because he’s been there.
“When I first came in, Kevyn Adams was one of those guys for me,” Kane said. “I worked with him in training camp. He tried to show me the ways of the NHL.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)