Apr 3, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Patrick Kane has been called many things during his five-year career.
“Maturing leader” hasn’t often been one of them.
But perceptions seem to be changing as Kane, 23, has assumed a sort-of guidance counselor role in Chicago. Given the number of youngsters that have dressed for the ‘Hawks this season — Brandon Saad (19 years old), Nick Leddy (20), Jeremy Morin (20), Brandon Pirri (20) and Andrew Shaw (20) — Kane says he’s taking it upon himself to teach the kids the ways of the NHL.
“They’re great guys, easy to get along with. They’re really enjoying their time in the NHL and are really enthusiastic and just excited to be here,” he told the Chicago Daily Herald. “It’s nice to be around them — fun to have that youthful energy and excitement.
“I know I’m only 23 years old, but I’d like to think I’m one of those guys that takes them under my wing and shows them the ropes a little bit.”
Admittedly, it’s funny to hear Kane talk like this. He was, after all, at the forefront of limo-gate, taxi-gate and an eponymous category at Deadspin (which included the “Patrick Kane Is More Alcohol Than Man At This Point” photo gallery.)
Some would contend there’s not a worse mentor for up-and-coming NHLers, but Kane contends he’s a good choice — because he’s been there.
“When I first came in, Kevyn Adams was one of those guys for me,” Kane said. “I worked with him in training camp. He tried to show me the ways of the NHL.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)