Apr 3, 2012, 5:16 PM EST
The NHL announced Edmonton Oilers head coach Tom Renney has been fined $10,000 for comments made following a 2-0 loss in Los Angeles on Monday.
If you’re wondering what the comments were, here’s the audio:
“Maybe they need Hollywood in the playoffs” referred to a disparity in penalties that favored the Kings, who are in the midst of a playoff chase. Edmonton was whistled for five penalties to Los Angeles’ three, including a stretch in the second period where the Oilers received three minor penalties in the span of 12 minutes.
All told, Edmonton received just one power play opportunity.
Renney’s comments may not have been a reflection of last night but rather the culmination of weeks of frustration, as noted by the Edmonton Sun’s Roberty Tychkowski:
For the 11th time in the last 20 games, the Oilers were given one or fewer power plays. By comparison, only twice in the last 20 games have their opponents been limited to one or fewer power plays. Only once in the last 20 games have the Oilers been given more power play chances than their opponents.
This isn’t the first time the NHL has come down hard on a postgame refereeing critique. After New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella called officiating at the 2012 Winter Classic “disgusting”, the league gave him a $30,000 fine.
- Flames place Giordano on IR 0
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 60
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (98)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)