Apr 3, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT
The NHL announced Edmonton Oilers head coach Tom Renney has been fined $10,000 for comments made following a 2-0 loss in Los Angeles on Monday.
If you’re wondering what the comments were, here’s the audio:
“Maybe they need Hollywood in the playoffs” referred to a disparity in penalties that favored the Kings, who are in the midst of a playoff chase. Edmonton was whistled for five penalties to Los Angeles’ three, including a stretch in the second period where the Oilers received three minor penalties in the span of 12 minutes.
All told, Edmonton received just one power play opportunity.
Renney’s comments may not have been a reflection of last night but rather the culmination of weeks of frustration, as noted by the Edmonton Sun’s Roberty Tychkowski:
For the 11th time in the last 20 games, the Oilers were given one or fewer power plays. By comparison, only twice in the last 20 games have their opponents been limited to one or fewer power plays. Only once in the last 20 games have the Oilers been given more power play chances than their opponents.
This isn’t the first time the NHL has come down hard on a postgame refereeing critique. After New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella called officiating at the 2012 Winter Classic “disgusting”, the league gave him a $30,000 fine.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)