Apr 3, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT
The NHL announced Edmonton Oilers head coach Tom Renney has been fined $10,000 for comments made following a 2-0 loss in Los Angeles on Monday.
If you’re wondering what the comments were, here’s the audio:
“Maybe they need Hollywood in the playoffs” referred to a disparity in penalties that favored the Kings, who are in the midst of a playoff chase. Edmonton was whistled for five penalties to Los Angeles’ three, including a stretch in the second period where the Oilers received three minor penalties in the span of 12 minutes.
All told, Edmonton received just one power play opportunity.
Renney’s comments may not have been a reflection of last night but rather the culmination of weeks of frustration, as noted by the Edmonton Sun’s Roberty Tychkowski:
For the 11th time in the last 20 games, the Oilers were given one or fewer power plays. By comparison, only twice in the last 20 games have their opponents been limited to one or fewer power plays. Only once in the last 20 games have the Oilers been given more power play chances than their opponents.
This isn’t the first time the NHL has come down hard on a postgame refereeing critique. After New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella called officiating at the 2012 Winter Classic “disgusting”, the league gave him a $30,000 fine.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)