Apr 3, 2012, 5:16 PM EST
The NHL announced Edmonton Oilers head coach Tom Renney has been fined $10,000 for comments made following a 2-0 loss in Los Angeles on Monday.
If you’re wondering what the comments were, here’s the audio:
“Maybe they need Hollywood in the playoffs” referred to a disparity in penalties that favored the Kings, who are in the midst of a playoff chase. Edmonton was whistled for five penalties to Los Angeles’ three, including a stretch in the second period where the Oilers received three minor penalties in the span of 12 minutes.
All told, Edmonton received just one power play opportunity.
Renney’s comments may not have been a reflection of last night but rather the culmination of weeks of frustration, as noted by the Edmonton Sun’s Roberty Tychkowski:
For the 11th time in the last 20 games, the Oilers were given one or fewer power plays. By comparison, only twice in the last 20 games have their opponents been limited to one or fewer power plays. Only once in the last 20 games have the Oilers been given more power play chances than their opponents.
This isn’t the first time the NHL has come down hard on a postgame refereeing critique. After New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella called officiating at the 2012 Winter Classic “disgusting”, the league gave him a $30,000 fine.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)