Apr 3, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT
We only mention because this isn’t a common occurrence. Rinne’s tied with Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller for most starts (71) in the league — a number Predators coach Barry Trotz admits is higher than originally planned.
“No, I think going into it, I looked at it as more of a 65, probably, as a number going into the season,” Trotz said. “He’s probably best around that number. So it’s a little higher…I think we went into a little bit of a roll right before the All-Star break. We knew the teams in the West are so close and we wanted to get some separation. We rode him hard into the All-Star break.”
Trotz has reason to manage his starter’s minutes before the playoffs start. Rinne’s coming off the worst month of his season, statistically speaking. His March save percentage was a mediocre .902. In 14 starts, he went 7-5-2 and was yanked twice.
The Preds have even called up goalie Chet Pickard from the ECHL to take shots during practice, allowing Rinne to leave early if necessary.
In a related story, the Preds have a goalie named Chet.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)