Apr 3, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT
We only mention because this isn’t a common occurrence. Rinne’s tied with Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller for most starts (71) in the league — a number Predators coach Barry Trotz admits is higher than originally planned.
“No, I think going into it, I looked at it as more of a 65, probably, as a number going into the season,” Trotz said. “He’s probably best around that number. So it’s a little higher…I think we went into a little bit of a roll right before the All-Star break. We knew the teams in the West are so close and we wanted to get some separation. We rode him hard into the All-Star break.”
Trotz has reason to manage his starter’s minutes before the playoffs start. Rinne’s coming off the worst month of his season, statistically speaking. His March save percentage was a mediocre .902. In 14 starts, he went 7-5-2 and was yanked twice.
The Preds have even called up goalie Chet Pickard from the ECHL to take shots during practice, allowing Rinne to leave early if necessary.
In a related story, the Preds have a goalie named Chet.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)