Apr 3, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
There’s a chance that Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov will play in Tuesday’s game against the New York Rangers, according to GM Paul Holmgren. Bryzgalov has been out for three straight contests because of a chip fracture in his foot.
Although nothing is set in stone, the Flyers could certainly use the boost in morale that Bryzgalov’s return would provide. They were able to beat the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday, but Daniel Briere and Nicklas Grossmann were both hurt in the process.
Bryzgalov has been hot-and-cold this season, but he was on fire prior to the injury. He has a 14-5-3 record and five shutouts since the All-Star break and was the NHL’s player of the month for March.
With three games left in the Flyers’ schedule, they’re fighting with the Pittsburgh Penguins for fourth place in the Eastern Conference and home ice advantage in their probable first round matchup. Philadelphia is one point behind the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Update: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports Bryzgalov will get the start tonight.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)