Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals defenseman spent last weekend cooking for some fans that won the experience during a recent Capitals Casino Night. Technically, the “cookin’ with the Caps” event was a three-man affair — Hamrlik, Tomas Vokoun and Mike Green — but it quickly became apparent Hamrlik was the star.
And with good reason. He’s a trained chef.
“You never know if you’re going to play hockey or not, so you have to have something,” Hamrlik told the D.C. Sports Bog. “I just feel like to be a chef would be good idea if I don’t play hockey so I took three years of college [in the Czech Republic] to be a chef and I have a diploma to be a chef.”
Hamrlik’s culinary acumen drew praise from celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn (the first contestant bounced from this season’s The Next Iron Chef), who was on hand to make sure Green and Vokoun didn’t burn the toast.
“He was the only one who I can say impressed me,” Mendolsohn said of Hamrlik. “The other two, I can see why they decided to play hockey.”
In case you’re wondering, Hamrlik made rack of lamb, cauliflower cous cous sautéed with olive oil, pickled golden raisins, fresh blanched peas, toasted pine nuts and curry and a yogurt sauce with dill, which Hunter proceeded to bench in favor of a dijon mustard.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)