Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
The Washington Capitals defenseman spent last weekend cooking for some fans that won the experience during a recent Capitals Casino Night. Technically, the “cookin’ with the Caps” event was a three-man affair — Hamrlik, Tomas Vokoun and Mike Green — but it quickly became apparent Hamrlik was the star.
And with good reason. He’s a trained chef.
“You never know if you’re going to play hockey or not, so you have to have something,” Hamrlik told the D.C. Sports Bog. “I just feel like to be a chef would be good idea if I don’t play hockey so I took three years of college [in the Czech Republic] to be a chef and I have a diploma to be a chef.”
Hamrlik’s culinary acumen drew praise from celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn (the first contestant bounced from this season’s The Next Iron Chef), who was on hand to make sure Green and Vokoun didn’t burn the toast.
“He was the only one who I can say impressed me,” Mendolsohn said of Hamrlik. “The other two, I can see why they decided to play hockey.”
In case you’re wondering, Hamrlik made rack of lamb, cauliflower cous cous sautéed with olive oil, pickled golden raisins, fresh blanched peas, toasted pine nuts and curry and a yogurt sauce with dill, which Hunter proceeded to bench in favor of a dijon mustard.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)