Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals defenseman spent last weekend cooking for some fans that won the experience during a recent Capitals Casino Night. Technically, the “cookin’ with the Caps” event was a three-man affair — Hamrlik, Tomas Vokoun and Mike Green — but it quickly became apparent Hamrlik was the star.
And with good reason. He’s a trained chef.
“You never know if you’re going to play hockey or not, so you have to have something,” Hamrlik told the D.C. Sports Bog. “I just feel like to be a chef would be good idea if I don’t play hockey so I took three years of college [in the Czech Republic] to be a chef and I have a diploma to be a chef.”
Hamrlik’s culinary acumen drew praise from celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn (the first contestant bounced from this season’s The Next Iron Chef), who was on hand to make sure Green and Vokoun didn’t burn the toast.
“He was the only one who I can say impressed me,” Mendolsohn said of Hamrlik. “The other two, I can see why they decided to play hockey.”
In case you’re wondering, Hamrlik made rack of lamb, cauliflower cous cous sautéed with olive oil, pickled golden raisins, fresh blanched peas, toasted pine nuts and curry and a yogurt sauce with dill, which Hunter proceeded to bench in favor of a dijon mustard.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)