Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals defenseman spent last weekend cooking for some fans that won the experience during a recent Capitals Casino Night. Technically, the “cookin’ with the Caps” event was a three-man affair — Hamrlik, Tomas Vokoun and Mike Green — but it quickly became apparent Hamrlik was the star.
And with good reason. He’s a trained chef.
“You never know if you’re going to play hockey or not, so you have to have something,” Hamrlik told the D.C. Sports Bog. “I just feel like to be a chef would be good idea if I don’t play hockey so I took three years of college [in the Czech Republic] to be a chef and I have a diploma to be a chef.”
Hamrlik’s culinary acumen drew praise from celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn (the first contestant bounced from this season’s The Next Iron Chef), who was on hand to make sure Green and Vokoun didn’t burn the toast.
“He was the only one who I can say impressed me,” Mendolsohn said of Hamrlik. “The other two, I can see why they decided to play hockey.”
In case you’re wondering, Hamrlik made rack of lamb, cauliflower cous cous sautéed with olive oil, pickled golden raisins, fresh blanched peas, toasted pine nuts and curry and a yogurt sauce with dill, which Hunter proceeded to bench in favor of a dijon mustard.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)