Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals defenseman spent last weekend cooking for some fans that won the experience during a recent Capitals Casino Night. Technically, the “cookin’ with the Caps” event was a three-man affair — Hamrlik, Tomas Vokoun and Mike Green — but it quickly became apparent Hamrlik was the star.
And with good reason. He’s a trained chef.
“You never know if you’re going to play hockey or not, so you have to have something,” Hamrlik told the D.C. Sports Bog. “I just feel like to be a chef would be good idea if I don’t play hockey so I took three years of college [in the Czech Republic] to be a chef and I have a diploma to be a chef.”
Hamrlik’s culinary acumen drew praise from celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn (the first contestant bounced from this season’s The Next Iron Chef), who was on hand to make sure Green and Vokoun didn’t burn the toast.
“He was the only one who I can say impressed me,” Mendolsohn said of Hamrlik. “The other two, I can see why they decided to play hockey.”
In case you’re wondering, Hamrlik made rack of lamb, cauliflower cous cous sautéed with olive oil, pickled golden raisins, fresh blanched peas, toasted pine nuts and curry and a yogurt sauce with dill, which Hunter proceeded to bench in favor of a dijon mustard.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 27
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 44
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 91
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL