Apr 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Dealing with injuries is part of being an NHL player, but it’s obviously something you have to learn about the hard way. After missing just three contests over his first two NHL seasons, Matt Duchene has had to figure out how to recover from and play with significant injuries. He’s been using a metal brace on his left knee for months and has been taping up his right ankle for weeks.
That’s perhaps part of the reason why his role with the team has been limited lately and he only has one goal and three points in his last 17 games. Duchene’s injuries and struggles are part of the reason why the Avalanche are on the brink of being mathematically eliminated from the hunt for a playoff spot. The silver lining is that the experience may have helped Duchene grow as a player and that’s good for the franchise in the long run.
“I’ve become a way better pro this year. I think it’s helped me be able to play in these circumstances, even though I probably shouldn’t be. But it’s been tough. I’m wearing things on my body I’m not used to,” Duchene said Monday. “But I’ve learned about how to deal with the ups and downs of being a pro. I used to think any (setback) like this was the end of the world. Now I think it could be a blessing.”
Duchene added that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)