Apr 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Dealing with injuries is part of being an NHL player, but it’s obviously something you have to learn about the hard way. After missing just three contests over his first two NHL seasons, Matt Duchene has had to figure out how to recover from and play with significant injuries. He’s been using a metal brace on his left knee for months and has been taping up his right ankle for weeks.
That’s perhaps part of the reason why his role with the team has been limited lately and he only has one goal and three points in his last 17 games. Duchene’s injuries and struggles are part of the reason why the Avalanche are on the brink of being mathematically eliminated from the hunt for a playoff spot. The silver lining is that the experience may have helped Duchene grow as a player and that’s good for the franchise in the long run.
“I’ve become a way better pro this year. I think it’s helped me be able to play in these circumstances, even though I probably shouldn’t be. But it’s been tough. I’m wearing things on my body I’m not used to,” Duchene said Monday. “But I’ve learned about how to deal with the ups and downs of being a pro. I used to think any (setback) like this was the end of the world. Now I think it could be a blessing.”
Duchene added that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)