Apr 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Dealing with injuries is part of being an NHL player, but it’s obviously something you have to learn about the hard way. After missing just three contests over his first two NHL seasons, Matt Duchene has had to figure out how to recover from and play with significant injuries. He’s been using a metal brace on his left knee for months and has been taping up his right ankle for weeks.
That’s perhaps part of the reason why his role with the team has been limited lately and he only has one goal and three points in his last 17 games. Duchene’s injuries and struggles are part of the reason why the Avalanche are on the brink of being mathematically eliminated from the hunt for a playoff spot. The silver lining is that the experience may have helped Duchene grow as a player and that’s good for the franchise in the long run.
“I’ve become a way better pro this year. I think it’s helped me be able to play in these circumstances, even though I probably shouldn’t be. But it’s been tough. I’m wearing things on my body I’m not used to,” Duchene said Monday. “But I’ve learned about how to deal with the ups and downs of being a pro. I used to think any (setback) like this was the end of the world. Now I think it could be a blessing.”
Duchene added that he should be 100 percent by training camp.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)