Briere: Vitale was “obviously trying to hurt me”

Apr 3, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Flyers forward Danny Briere sounded off today about Sunday’s hit that put him out indefinitely with an upper-back contusion.

That hit, of course, was delivered by Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale, and looked like this:

What did Briere think of it?

“Look, everybody knows that (they) put the line that was on the ice, on the ice with a minute left in a game that was out of hand,” he said, as per Philly.com. “Everybody knows the intent, what the intent was. Was it a bad hit? No. It was a clean hit.

“But obviously, you knew what he was doing. He was obviously trying to hurt me. We all know that.”

Briere might be right that Vitale was trying to hurt him, but just to play devil’s advocate, if Briere knew the game was out of hand, maybe he should’ve kept his head up circling through the middle of the ice. Vitale clobbered him seconds after a faceoff, so he knew who was out there for the Penguins.

But you can understand Briere’s frustration – there’s no telling if he’ll be back in time to seek revenge on the Penguins.

“I don’t know much at this point,” he said. “All I know is that my back is in spasms. They have some fancy words for it that I don’t understand. There is no timetable.

“I’d like to be ready for the playoffs, I just don’t know at this point.”

1. pens5829 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Take your skirt off Danielle. Playoff season’s about to begin.

• kellyb9 - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM

It’s nice seeing Pens fans back on this site. I didn’t hear much from them on Sunday evening.

• pens5829 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Probable Pens fans had trouble connecting due to too much congestion on the web server from all the Flyer fans crying about this hit and whining about Bylsma and Crosby.

• kellyb9 - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Ha – a Pens fan complaining about the Flyers whining… is that officially irony?

2. mickeyb21 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM

HAHA! Thanks for making me laugh this morning Danny.

3. bojangles83 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM

was Danny B expecting with his headdown on the trolly tracks?

This is a contact sport, of course they are trying to hurt but not injure you. The game was 6-3, what is Blysma supposed to do? Put Malkin or Crosby’s line out there? Give your head a shake Flyers. Stop Whining.

• flyersgoalscoredby88 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM

nice DGB reference.

4. mgp1219 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Does Briere play for the Flyers, Liars or Cryers? Based on his whining, I’m not sure.

5. napoleonblownapart6887 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Briere can cry me a river. He acknowledges it was a clean hit. It doesn’t matter what his intent is if the hit is delivered within the rules.

And also – we don’t all know “that”. I find it much less likely that Vitale was saying to himself “There’s Danny Briere, I’m going to knock him out of for the season,” than him saying to himself, “hey the puck carrier has his head down, and I should probably seperate him from the puck…” Clown.

6. habsman - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

No mention that Brier gave Vitale a quick spear in the pills at the faceoff just prior to the hit.

7. crosberries - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM

So you knew it was coming but you still decided it was best to skate with your head down through center ice. Smart. Flyers are just pissed cause we beat them at their own game for once.

• hartsy19 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Fact. It’s ALMOST impossible for you to beat the Flyers on the scoreboard this season.

• crosberries - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Cute name Hartsy do you have a wall dedicated to him in your room and you put on lipstick and kiss each picture of him before you hang it up?

• hartsy19 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

No, that picture is of your mother.

• warchief65 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM

ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE ? Yeah , okay . Take another hit off the METH PIPE hartsy .

• crosberries - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Wow a your mom comment from a philthy fan original and makes sense since most of your moms work the corner in Philthy she has to feed you somehow

8. barkar942 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

And if the score had been reversed and Rinaldo cold cocked Cindy like that and started his bell ringing again for another year with the same legal check, what would all of you Pittsburgh fans be saying here?
    There was absolutely no reason for that Scott Stevens type hit other than to hurt Briere and for Pittsburgh to send a message. Vitale made zero effort to play the puck. That was strictly intent to injure.
    I personally am glad that the Flyers are playing the Pens in the first round. I’ll take the Flyers in 6.

• chizmo - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

First, hitting the guy with the puck IS PLAYING THE PUCK.

Second, legal hit and “cold clock” are two completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Third, how does back spasms for Briere equal another year long concussion for Crosby. You all act like Danny Brier is the second coming of Mario Lemieux.

Fourth, if that hit was “intent to injure”, would you say that there are some 40-odd instances in any given game that someone has “intent to injure”?

Fifth, suck it PENS IN THREE WOOOOOOO.

• drewsylvania - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

If that hit should be removed from the game, then you’d have to remove ALL hitting. For the millionth time, a player is allowed to play the puck OR the body. Often, playing the body is more effective.

Please learn something about the game.

• kitshky - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Seriously eh, the legal intent of a hit is to seperate the player from the puck, thats why it’s a penalty to hit someone when he doesnt have the puck…and legal when he does have the puck.

I’ve always liked Briere, and as far as Eastern teams go Im almost a Pens fan … but I am so confused as to why this hit is causing even the slightest controversy. Carrying the puck in the middle of the ice and you get hit body on body …aannd?

• barkar942 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I know lots about the game. At that point and time in the game, that hit was totally not necessary other than to injure someone or to show our goons will hurt your star players.
        Can’t wait to see how many AHLer’s will be wearing Flyers and Pens uniforms in two weeks after all of the unnecessary injuries from hooliganism.
        They should both try to play some hockey and showcase all of both teams talents, not their goons.

• warchief65 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

barkar , perhaps you will be better if you were to watch a women’s game . There you won’t see any hitting , as what you think should be happening in the men game . The hit was clean , and your ” zero ” even said so . That’s what you get for not watching the play . And , also , the players are told , from a young age , like PeeWee , to play the body , not the puck . All Briere is crying about being hit . That’s what happens in a MEN’S game . Deal with it .

9. fingers777 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This all started cause Schenn cross checked Crosby. Laviolette is a smart guy he must of known it’s tit for tat and one of their stars was going to be in the Penguins sights after the hit on Crosby. Sorry ,I blame Laviollette for not seeing what was going to happen and he should be held responsible for Briere’s injury, and by the way the hit was totally legal.

• seagullrice - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

For the record most of this started when Crosby was flailing his stick at anybody within reach without repercussions. This is being blown out of proportion though, I’m a Flyers fan and it really sucks that Briere is injured but it was a perfectly clean hit. Unfortunately this kinda stuff is just part of the game.

• chizmo - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Yet you point out that Crosby “flailing his stick around”, when a slash to the hands here and there is just part of the game. Crosby slash to the play is not in any way something that only he does. Go ahead and watch Hartnell or Rinaldo for a whole game and get back to me on Crosby being the only guy who “flails”. (Note: I am not calling either gentleman dirty or cheapshot artist)

I personally think this started as a result of Bobrosky giving Fleury a dirty look from across the ice just moments before the opening faceoff. It all started from there. So now the truth is out and we can all agree the Flyers’ Bobrosky is the real villain here and set a poor precedent from the start on how to treat other players.

• phillyhatesyou - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM

fingers you are an idiot. did you not watch the rest of the game when crosby was slashing everyone in sight? that schenn “crosscheck” was nothing more than a dive by crosby.

• drewsylvania - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Whatever Crosby did earlier, calling Schenn’s check a dive is pure hilarity.

• drewsylvania - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Doh. What I mean is that saying Crosby dived when Schenn hit him is completely ridiculous.

• chizmo - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM

ya kinda have to see it coming to dive!

• phillyhatesyou - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

really? that little love tap wouldnt even be enough to knock me down let alone a professional like crosby. he took a dive. i know you know it. its what crosby does.

• phillyhatesyou - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

chizmo he skated directly in front of schenn right after he slashed him. he knew it was coming.

• crosberries - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Did he hurt the sticks feelings when he slashed it?

• ml3939 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Hey Fingers, go to NHL.com and watch the game highlights. At 2:53 of their highlights you can clearly see Crosby hit Schenn in the back right before the crosscheck. Cheapshot Syd started the chain of events. Know what you talking about it before typing. It helps.

• warchief65 - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

How can you even say that one player make this whole thing started this ? Briere was skating in the middle of OPEN ice with his HEAD DOWN . After he speared a player , no less . That’s when he was hit , a CLEAN HIT I might add . He said so too . But , he’s also the only player being crying about it though .

10. lammy5555 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM

If Vitale wanted to hurt Briere, he would have stuck his elbow or stick in his mouth when he hit him. Keep your head up going through the neutral zone and you won’t have that problem.

11. sjm1717 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Wahhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhh

12. firstandonlywarning - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Remember when I told you that Briere was NOT Classy, and was in fact an idiot?

Well?

Learn the difference between trying to hurt and trying to injure Danny

Oh wait, why bother? After more than a decade Briere is still putting himself in positions to get run over and then cries about it afterward.

No different than Modano and Roenick, they LOVE to cut near the trolley tracks, and what do you know, they got smashed.

When you do not skate “east and west” and make “north and south” cuts, ESPECIALLY near the lines, there is a pretty good chance you get laid out.

• firstandonlywarning - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Of course he was trying to hurt you
      Most players are trying to hurt you

They want you to hurt
      Trying to Hurt vs Trying to Injure
      Massive difference

• firstandonlywarning - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

And most French Canadian hockey players would love to see checking removed from the game. They want to be able to skate around untouched with their heads down, make cuts as soon as they cross the line without consequence.

• habsman - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

“And most French Canadian hockey players would love to see checking removed from the game.”

You sir, are an idiot.

• hartsy19 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I really can’t decide who’s comments are more outlandish firstandonlys or genopringles. They both should be banned for general stupidity.

13. djamesbart - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Unbelievable all this Flyers whining:
    “whaaaaaa! The pens hit too hard!!”

Joe Vitale – notorious thug. Too funny.

I’m embarrassed for the team once called the Broad Street Bullies.

14. sjm1717 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Scott Stevens type hit?? You know nothing about the game. Stick to the phillies and eagles bro

15. rtrmusic - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM

“I don’t know much at this point,” he said. “All I know is that I have VA-JAY-JAY spasms. They have some fancy words for it that I don’t understand. There is no timetable.”

Fixed.

16. sharks123 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM

He knew the situation yet still didn’t protect himself. Lame. Just wish my Sharks would deliver hits like that.

17. rtrmusic - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Did anyone notice that Briere starred in BASEketball Movie? He played the role of “Little @#$%^”

18. rtrmusic - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Mike Milbury apologizes to Penguins, fans for Sidney Crosby comments

• pens5829 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Still a douchebag. Go rough up another 12 yr old Mike!

19. drewsylvania - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Shut up, Danny.

20. philly4lyfe - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

God I can’t wait till the first round of the playoffs is over. All these loud mouth pens fans will be nowhere to be found after their garbage team gets laughed out of their own building and bounced in the first round.

21. govtminion - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Keep the Pens/Flyers threads coming, these have been fun! Who says Bruins/Canucks fans have all the fun?

22. letangusespertplus - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

This dude is straight baby thighs soft.

23. lasallehockey81 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The blame here’s probably 50/50. Briere should know the situation and who’s out there and keep his head up and, yeah, that line is probably out there to go after someone late in the game. What I don’t buy is Vitale saying he didn’t know it was Briere. He had him lined up for 10 feet….he was on a line with Simmonds, a black guy, and Schenn.. He kind of sticks out. As a Flyer fan, though, I wish Danny would be quiet on this one. No real point in talking about it, now. Probably should do the talking on Saturday.

• chizmo - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

What does it matter if Vitale did or didn’t know who it was?

If you’re just bothered by Hard Checking Joe’s lies, then I understand.

24. benzoids - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

“They have some fancy words for it that I don’t understand.”

Danny Briere’s new nickname needs to be Keyrock, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

• benzoids - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

How can you give me a thumbs down for that? WTF is wrong w/ you people?

25. dagnats - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

geez, Briere you really are a puss

26. sgtr0c - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM

C’mon guys, all this talk about the Flyers is cutting into the time the pens need to talk about how great they are……The pens defense gave up 6 goals, just sayin……..

27. ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM

@govtminion

first, youre a troll for that comment. second, what about the Pens makes us a garbage team? Noone is doubting the strength of the Flyers, but you come onto this board and make ludicrous comments. Why do you waste your time? Im very pleased we get to play you fools in the first round. And I truly hope we win. Filthadelphians.

• govtminion - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I think maybe you’re reading me wrong here. First, I’m not a Flyers fan. At all. I’m a Bruins fan. Which brings me to point two- after all of the fun going back and forth between Canucks and Bruins fans all last summer, I genuinely am enjoying watching the back and forth between the Pens and Flyers. I’m not taking sides here (I dislike both teams, frankly)- I’m just enjoying the chaos, and I’m looking forward to a full seven game series of it.

• govtminion - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Actually, going back and looking again, I think you might be calling out the wrong person entirely. I can’t for one figure out how you’d take my comment and make it into a pro-Flyers post proclaiming the Penguins to be garbage. Sure you meant me?

28. ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

He can continue to act like these hits are a surprise in his life. Just cite Kronwalls hit against him in February. I do know he would not take such devestating injuries if he would keep his head up in the nuetral zone. Dummy.

29. lasallehockey81 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Not bothered by anyone’s lies or comments.. Just giving my opinion on the entire situation… That’s what this comment thread is still for, correct?

30. sweezz - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Wow, all these Pens fans calling Danny a puss. Mr. Pot, meet the Kettle

– Cindy Crysbaby started this all.

– Cindy thought he was tough, through his cheap play and post game interview. Now is back pedaling to lower the angst and punishment he will get saturday.

– I’ve seen Danny go after Chara, I’ve seen Cindy go to the refs.

• letangusespertplus - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM

So Briere is allowed to cry is what you’re saying? If you take a run at Crosby you better hope Giroux never steps a twinkle toe on the ice.

• sweezz - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I don’t think he’s crying. Crying would be him saying it was an illegal hit. He said what was true, and what a large portion of the hockey world is thinking. Dude was trying to take him out. Should Briere have kept his head up? Sure. Was Vitale trying to hurt someone? Sure. Whats the fricken mystery?

• letangusespertplus - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM

The mystery is why he is even talking about it. You knew the intent and you got bit. Hard. That’s like sticking your hand in a bear trap and asking why it went off. He’s stupid. So are you.

• ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

But you have also seen Dan go into the nuetral zone with is head down. Vitale ended that. He did it in February against the Red Wings. Same result. Do you see a pattern developing or do they not explain things like this in the Filthadelphian cirriculum?

• sweezz - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM

No, we see that the Pens are dirty players, no explanation required

• ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

sucha cop out response. You know for a fact this has happened to him multiple times yet you feel this is on the other team for being ‘dirty’. Get real man take off the Orange sun glasses and see reality..

• sweezz - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Explain to me why Cooke was supended? Explain to me the non calls on Cindy? Explain to me why Malkin punced Giroux twice in the back of the head when he was on top of him? Explain to me why Super Mario saved your sheet ash city from losing a hockey team? My glasses pick up reality, and can see through your BS at the same time

• ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Well if this is gonn turn into a pissing contest then Im game. Cooke was the dirtiest player in the league. Bettman even told him if he doesnt change his game its over for him. So what did he do? He flipped the game on everyone and is on par for 21 goals this season. Still picking up reality my filthy friend? Malkins a loose cannon who will lose his $hit if hes tempted to. Is this news to anyone? And the soupcan gets noncalls cause hes the face of this whole league whether you like it or not.

The important answer for the ignoramus. Mario was owed 50 million plus in cash and instead chose to own the team. Talk about an investment. It surely has paid off and if we get another this year its gravy on top of the investment. I know not many players willl dedicate themselves to staying in a town that stood by them for their career. But Mario did bc its a hell of a hockey environment here (and he probably didnt want the headache of relocation). Now, you tell me filthy, how many players show that commitment to your town full of criminals and leechs?

SO now you can see things for what they really are care to elaborate on my BS?

• sweezz - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

No, you just confirmed that Malkin and Cooke are dirty players, Cindy gets away with murder, and Mario would rather save money than moving on to greener pastures. You cleared that up real quick. BTW how did you guys get to draft Mario anyway? I forget that truly stand up, class act, noble way to acquire a player….

• ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I confirmed that Cooke has changed his ways, Ive confirmed that youre illetirate cause you clearly didnt understand that, Ive confirmed youre in denial that most teams have a loose cannon, and yeah Crosby has every reason to be hated by non pens fans and non candians. Now youre crying worse than Danny B. because youre a butt hurt filthadelphian.

While youre at it why dont you just continue the waterworks explaining our acquistion of Mario… would all love to hear your rendition.

• sweezz - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I’m illiterate? Please see asterisks and parenthesis for grammatical and literate corrections

“I confirmed that Cooke has changed his ways, (PERIOD*) I’ve* confirmed that you’re* illiterate* because* you clearly didn’t* understand that (PERIOD*) I’ve* confirmed you’re* in denial that most teams have a loose cannon, and yeah Crosby has every reason to be hated by non pens fans and non-Canadians*. Now you’re* crying worse than Danny B. Because* you’re* a butt hurt filthadelphian.

While you’re* at it why don’*t you just continue the waterworks explaining our acquisition* of Mario… (WE*) would all love to hear your rendition.”

• phillyhatesyou - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM

funny how otto says to take the orange glasses off when he has his head so far up crosby’s a$$. you’re so called “hell of a hockey market” was so good with attendance it almost forced mario to move the team to KC. sounds like a real electric market to me. and in regards to players calling the area home we have bob clarke, bill barber, bernie parent, chris therien, gary dornhoeffer, ron jaworski, mike quick, greg luzinski, brian westbrook, hugh douglass, and many more. all you can do is call the city filthadelphia. pittsburgh must truly be heaven. maybe thats why so few people live there. your city is one step up from those garbage dumps that ohio calls cities. your team is the dirtiest team in hockey and it starts with the coach. you are a joke otto. how is that for a dose of reality you scumbag critter.

• ottograham - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I find Crosby to be a hell of an athlete and happy hes on my team. But my head is certainly nowhere near his a$$. Try to form an insightful comment next time, put it into words you can understand, and articulate yourself next time. Instead of ranting off players names from the past. You can use them as much of a crutch as youd like. We are trying to produce tradition with out hockey team, but its Scrooges like you who want to see history stay with the original teams. Times change bro deal with it.

31. ottograham - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

@govtminion

sorry brotha wrong username. Not used to all these posts on a hockey thread.

32. speedstickmusk - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

C’mon Briere… what a pansy…. “he hit me”… boohoo….

• cba77 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Wow, you all sound like a bunch of Habs fans…time to buckle it up boys, it all starts in 9 days….and yes Danny, checking will be allowed

33. lasallehockey81 - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

It’s fun to see people try their best to make a mature, valid argument while calling it “Filthadelphia” or “Filthy” or $h*tsburgh… like a child on a playground. If any of you are over the age of 18.. Then this is a sad, sad representation of 2 fan bases.

34. pdmjr - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM

What a little wimp, takes after that goof of a coach.

35. twigsandberries - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Clean hit..

36. billobrienschindimple - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

If the game is out of hand with a minute left why does Laviollette have his best guts out? Seems a bad coaching move onFlyers part.

37. nhlinfoworker - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Sorry to disappoint you Danny, but you’re just not that important.

Really, if a hockey team wants to put someone out on the ice to hurt you, do they really dispatch their second smallest player ? And moreover, why you ?? What have you done that would make you a target… not like you’re having a good year or anything.

Did you really think that the Pens were thinking… wow, here’s an opportunity to get rid of that pesky 16 goal / year guy… oh boy… let’s put out our big bruiser and then we can win the playoff series.

Maybe you shouldn’t spear someone right off the face off and then be sooooo stupid as to skate through the middle of the ice with your head down. Then again, stupid is as stupid does.

38. lasallehockey81 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Bill – best guys? Giroux, Hartnell and Jagr were on the bench.. The line that was out there was a mix of 2nd and 3rd line guys…

39. lasallehockey81 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Bill…. Briere Simmonds and Schenn are a mix of second and third line guys… Flyers top line is Giroux Hartnell and Jagr who were on the bench. With a minute or so left. I’d imagine those guys were taking 30 seconds with a line with Coutourier and read up after them… Keeping their top line and 4th line off.

40. lasallehockey81 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Sorry for 2 comments… iPhone told me first one didn’t go through…

41. ispeakpittsburghese - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Love the fans who say the Vitale hit was dirty, but then hope Crosby and Malkin leave on stretchers, etc.

If playing the 4th line is dirty, why even have a 4th line?
    If the game is over, why do the Flyers have a scoring line out?

Answers: there is no reason not to. The check was completely legal, a beaut I might add. And there is still game to be played, so it is the Flyers’ job to score and the Penguins’ job to stop them.

The game might be over, but there’s still time on the clock. as players are they just supposed to sit on the ice for the final 5 minutes or so, and as fans are we supposed to watch that?

Philly leads or is near the top of the NHL in many PIM categories. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re dirty, they just hit hard. Part of the game. But when the Penguins do it, its wrong?

If Crosby was crushed on a clean hit late in a game out of reach, would I cry foul? No, wanna know why? The hockey game is still being played. In a game not too long ago (NJ? Boston?) Crosby got decked into the boards by a completely clean check. No issues. No “Trying to injure” BS. Just a clean hit.

Maybe Crosby isn’t the only one that whines after all

42. id4joey - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Stop whining Dan, and keep your bloody head up in the neutral zone. You should have learned this lesson when you started to skate.

43. ballsohardu - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Pens are dirty… Even worse sidney crosby plays for them. Yuck.. Dont ask dont tell sid

44. sabatimus - Apr 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

If I’m Grossman, I have a beef with Vitale. If I’m Briere, I wear panties.

45. eagles512 - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Schenn cross checked Crosby? It was a shove. Give me a break.

46. jkaflagg - Apr 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Need to have a little chat with Schenn about hitting a superstar from behind, especially one who has had recent injuries…..At that point it becomes open season on every player, not the staged cement head-vs-cement head action…..I don’t think it will affect the playoff series because teams can’t afford to take bad penalties then….but it will no doubt be remembered next year.

Interesting (not to mention hilariously ironic) to hear the Flyers play the role of the innocent, aggrieved party….In the old days, getting the other team pissed usually meant they had them right where they wanted them…..

Top 10 NHL Player Searches