Apr 3, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Flyers forward Danny Briere sounded off today about Sunday’s hit that put him out indefinitely with an upper-back contusion.
That hit, of course, was delivered by Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale, and looked like this:
What did Briere think of it?
“Look, everybody knows that (they) put the line that was on the ice, on the ice with a minute left in a game that was out of hand,” he said, as per Philly.com. “Everybody knows the intent, what the intent was. Was it a bad hit? No. It was a clean hit.
“But obviously, you knew what he was doing. He was obviously trying to hurt me. We all know that.”
Briere might be right that Vitale was trying to hurt him, but just to play devil’s advocate, if Briere knew the game was out of hand, maybe he should’ve kept his head up circling through the middle of the ice. Vitale clobbered him seconds after a faceoff, so he knew who was out there for the Penguins.
But you can understand Briere’s frustration – there’s no telling if he’ll be back in time to seek revenge on the Penguins.
“I don’t know much at this point,” he said. “All I know is that my back is in spasms. They have some fancy words for it that I don’t understand. There is no timetable.
“I’d like to be ready for the playoffs, I just don’t know at this point.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22