Apr 3, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Another day, another “we really gotta knock it off with the turnovers” game from the Washington Capitals.
That day was yesterday, and the Caps lost 4-2 to Tampa Bay on it.
“When we get up (the ice), we get fancy,” defenseman Karl Alzner said, as per the Washington Post. “And we think, ‘Oh, we’re going to score another couple goals and we’re not going to let any in.’ We make backhand passes through the middle of the ice. …For example, we chip the puck in the middle of the ice to try to get to our centers instead of chipping it along the wall and skating into it, which all the other good teams do to us. We get very, very soft with the puck.”
Coach Dale Hunter added: “We’ve got to get in deep and don’t turn the puck over.”
Turnovers have been a problem in Washington for years. When a team runs and guns, it’s going to have more turnovers than others. Think Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin in basketball. Just one problem with that theory now: the Caps don’t run and gun anymore – they’re 14th in goals per game (2.6), a far cry from 2009-10 when they led the NHL (3.82).
Furthermore, laziness is never an excuse for poor puck management, regardless of the style of play.
“On the first goal we had two turnovers and a penalty and then the second goal was another turnover right away after that,” said Troy Brouwer. “We’ve got to eliminate these turnovers, these useless turnovers that are just in terrible areas of the ice because they’re killing us.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)