Apr 2, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
After scoring in four straight games and pushing Philly to within one point of hated rival Pittsburgh, Wayne Simmonds was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Simmonds, 23, tallied five goals in games against the Lightning, Leafs, Senators and Penguins and did it while playing less than 15 minutes per game (he scored three points against Toronto in 13:06 of ice time.) The week capped off what’s been a career year for Simmonds, his first in Philadelphia — he’s notched career highs in goals (27) and points (48) and is second on the team in fights, with 10.
Second star went to Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara. He led all skaters with seven assists as the Bruins put together a great week, earning seven of a possible eight points while clinching their third straight Northeast Division title. The Boston captain had two multi-assist games — three against Tampa, two against the Islanders — and how has 40 on the year, a career-high.
Third star went to Phoenix goalie Mike Smith, his third such award of the season (he was named first star of the week on Feb. 13 and also received first star of the month for February.) Smith posted two shutouts as the Coyotes entered tonight’s play atop the Pacific Division — a 38-save blanking of the Sharks and a stellar 44-save shutout of the Ducks on Saturday. Smith, 30, is now 35-18-10 on the year with a 2.29 GAA, .927 save percentage and seven shutouts, fourth-most in the NHL.
(Simmonds pic courtesy Dave Isaac)
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)