Apr 2, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames will miss the playoffs for the third straight season, but it’s not like they’re in year three of some five-year plan to make the postseason and win the Stanley Cup. Although they haven’t been traded away their future in an ultimately futile attempt to make the playoffs, the Flames’ front office has also resisted the notion that they need to blow up the team and start over. They bulk every time the idea of trading Jarome Iginla comes up. However, at what point should they decide that it’s no longer worthwhile to stay the course?
Of course, from the players’ perspective, the idea of blowing up the team and rebuilding it isn’t particularly appealing.
“As a player, you never want to believe the answers aren’t in the room,” said Mark Giordano. “It’s tough because at times we’ve shown we can be a really good hockey team, and be a team that battles with good teams and is right there. But, at times we haven’t.”
At times almost any team looks like a contender. Throughout a season every team has hot and cold streaks and while it’s true that Calgary had their chances to make the postseason, they never looked like more than a team that could just barely squeeze in. Maybe its fine for the front office to roll the dice on a team like this in the short run, but it’s not a long-term strategy, especially when the core players of their team in Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff are entering the twilight years of their careers.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)