Apr 2, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Monday began so brightly for the Philadelphia Flyers.
Then, Ilya Bryzgalov was named March’s first star after posting four shutouts and setting a franchise goalless streak record.
Briere will be out indefinitely with an upper back contusion, stemming from this hit by Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale in the waning moments of Sunday’s 6-4 win:
Briere left the ice immediately and went directly to the locker room, though GM Paul Holmgren said afterward Briere was “fine”.
(For what it’s worth, Holmgren also said Bryzgalov was “fine” after he limped off the ice last Monday…it was later revealed Bryz had a chip fracture in his foot.)
As for Grossmann, he left Sunday’s game after taking a knee-on-knee hit from — who else? — Joe Vitale! Grossmann ended up playing just 3:58 (eight shifts) in the first period before the Flyers shut him down for the afternoon.
The Flyers play their final three regular-season games this week — Tuesday against the Rangers, Thursday against the Sabres and a rematch with the Penguins on Saturday in Pittsburgh.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 101
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead