Apr 2, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Monday began so brightly for the Philadelphia Flyers.
Then, Ilya Bryzgalov was named March’s first star after posting four shutouts and setting a franchise goalless streak record.
Briere will be out indefinitely with an upper back contusion, stemming from this hit by Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale in the waning moments of Sunday’s 6-4 win:
Briere left the ice immediately and went directly to the locker room, though GM Paul Holmgren said afterward Briere was “fine”.
(For what it’s worth, Holmgren also said Bryzgalov was “fine” after he limped off the ice last Monday…it was later revealed Bryz had a chip fracture in his foot.)
As for Grossmann, he left Sunday’s game after taking a knee-on-knee hit from — who else? — Joe Vitale! Grossmann ended up playing just 3:58 (eight shifts) in the first period before the Flyers shut him down for the afternoon.
The Flyers play their final three regular-season games this week — Tuesday against the Rangers, Thursday against the Sabres and a rematch with the Penguins on Saturday in Pittsburgh.
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 0
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 4
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 4
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18