Apr 2, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
It might be a while before we know if Teemu Selanne will play in 2012-13 or hang up his skates. However, if any Ducks fans were worried that Selanne might have soured to the team’s direction following a poor 2011-12 campaign, they will be pleasantly surprised.
Selanne doesn’t think the team needs to make significant changes over the summer, especially after they bounced back in the second half of the season.
“When this team turned around the mess we did in the first half that’s going to make for a strong team afterward,” Selanne said. “We did that together. It was this group. We didn’t have 10 new faces. It was these guys right here.”
It helps that Anaheim’s core outside of Selanne is still young. Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Bobby Ryan are all in their mid-20s and they got a number of younger players, such as blueliners Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa, who could develop into cornerstones of the franchise.
Selanne said that he will let Anaheim know by July 1 if he will retire, which would give them the ability to make whatever adjustments to their free agent strategy that they feel are necessary.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (54)