Apr 2, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
It might be a while before we know if Teemu Selanne will play in 2012-13 or hang up his skates. However, if any Ducks fans were worried that Selanne might have soured to the team’s direction following a poor 2011-12 campaign, they will be pleasantly surprised.
Selanne doesn’t think the team needs to make significant changes over the summer, especially after they bounced back in the second half of the season.
“When this team turned around the mess we did in the first half that’s going to make for a strong team afterward,” Selanne said. “We did that together. It was this group. We didn’t have 10 new faces. It was these guys right here.”
It helps that Anaheim’s core outside of Selanne is still young. Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Bobby Ryan are all in their mid-20s and they got a number of younger players, such as blueliners Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa, who could develop into cornerstones of the franchise.
Selanne said that he will let Anaheim know by July 1 if he will retire, which would give them the ability to make whatever adjustments to their free agent strategy that they feel are necessary.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)