Apr 2, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
It might be a while before we know if Teemu Selanne will play in 2012-13 or hang up his skates. However, if any Ducks fans were worried that Selanne might have soured to the team’s direction following a poor 2011-12 campaign, they will be pleasantly surprised.
Selanne doesn’t think the team needs to make significant changes over the summer, especially after they bounced back in the second half of the season.
“When this team turned around the mess we did in the first half that’s going to make for a strong team afterward,” Selanne said. “We did that together. It was this group. We didn’t have 10 new faces. It was these guys right here.”
It helps that Anaheim’s core outside of Selanne is still young. Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Bobby Ryan are all in their mid-20s and they got a number of younger players, such as blueliners Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa, who could develop into cornerstones of the franchise.
Selanne said that he will let Anaheim know by July 1 if he will retire, which would give them the ability to make whatever adjustments to their free agent strategy that they feel are necessary.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)