Apr 2, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
It might be a while before we know if Teemu Selanne will play in 2012-13 or hang up his skates. However, if any Ducks fans were worried that Selanne might have soured to the team’s direction following a poor 2011-12 campaign, they will be pleasantly surprised.
Selanne doesn’t think the team needs to make significant changes over the summer, especially after they bounced back in the second half of the season.
“When this team turned around the mess we did in the first half that’s going to make for a strong team afterward,” Selanne said. “We did that together. It was this group. We didn’t have 10 new faces. It was these guys right here.”
It helps that Anaheim’s core outside of Selanne is still young. Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Bobby Ryan are all in their mid-20s and they got a number of younger players, such as blueliners Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa, who could develop into cornerstones of the franchise.
Selanne said that he will let Anaheim know by July 1 if he will retire, which would give them the ability to make whatever adjustments to their free agent strategy that they feel are necessary.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 11
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)