Apr 2, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Here’s league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Quincey received a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing on the play. And upon further review, the NHL didn’t buy his claim that he was bracing to “counter-hit” Kopecky.
“Any time a player launches prior to contact and makes excessive contact with an opponent’s head, he subjects himself to scrutiny and the possibility he may receive supplemental discipline,” said Shanahan.
The NHL did take into account Kopecky was able to return to the game and didn’t suffer an injury, as well as the fact Quincey has never been fined or suspended.
Quincey will forfeit $16,891.89 (or approximately one 2012 Mazda 3) under the terms of the CBA.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)