Apr 2, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Here’s league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Quincey received a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing on the play. And upon further review, the NHL didn’t buy his claim that he was bracing to “counter-hit” Kopecky.
“Any time a player launches prior to contact and makes excessive contact with an opponent’s head, he subjects himself to scrutiny and the possibility he may receive supplemental discipline,” said Shanahan.
The NHL did take into account Kopecky was able to return to the game and didn’t suffer an injury, as well as the fact Quincey has never been fined or suspended.
Quincey will forfeit $16,891.89 (or approximately one 2012 Mazda 3) under the terms of the CBA.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 64
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63