Apr 2, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Here’s league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Quincey received a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing on the play. And upon further review, the NHL didn’t buy his claim that he was bracing to “counter-hit” Kopecky.
“Any time a player launches prior to contact and makes excessive contact with an opponent’s head, he subjects himself to scrutiny and the possibility he may receive supplemental discipline,” said Shanahan.
The NHL did take into account Kopecky was able to return to the game and didn’t suffer an injury, as well as the fact Quincey has never been fined or suspended.
Quincey will forfeit $16,891.89 (or approximately one 2012 Mazda 3) under the terms of the CBA.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)