Apr 2, 2012, 5:55 PM EST
Here’s league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Quincey received a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing on the play. And upon further review, the NHL didn’t buy his claim that he was bracing to “counter-hit” Kopecky.
“Any time a player launches prior to contact and makes excessive contact with an opponent’s head, he subjects himself to scrutiny and the possibility he may receive supplemental discipline,” said Shanahan.
The NHL did take into account Kopecky was able to return to the game and didn’t suffer an injury, as well as the fact Quincey has never been fined or suspended.
Quincey will forfeit $16,891.89 (or approximately one 2012 Mazda 3) under the terms of the CBA.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (126)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)