Apr 2, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Here’s league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Quincey received a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing on the play. And upon further review, the NHL didn’t buy his claim that he was bracing to “counter-hit” Kopecky.
“Any time a player launches prior to contact and makes excessive contact with an opponent’s head, he subjects himself to scrutiny and the possibility he may receive supplemental discipline,” said Shanahan.
The NHL did take into account Kopecky was able to return to the game and didn’t suffer an injury, as well as the fact Quincey has never been fined or suspended.
Quincey will forfeit $16,891.89 (or approximately one 2012 Mazda 3) under the terms of the CBA.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)