Apr 2, 2012, 3:24 PM EST
After scoring 11 points in 11 games and recording a plus-10 rating, Buffalo Sabres winger Marcus Foligno was named the NHL’s rookie of the month for March.
Foligno, 20, was recalled from AHL Rochester on Mar. 9 and made an immediate impact, scoring five goals in his first five games. In addition, he became the third Sabre in franchise history to score seven or more points in his first six games and joined Teemu Selanne and Evgeni Malkin as the only active NHLers to score five or more goals in their first six games.
The son of former Sabres star Mike Foligno (and brother of Ottawa’s Nick Foligno) beat out some pretty stiff competition for the honor. Philly’s Matt Read scored seven goals in 16 games while Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins led all rookie scorers with 12 points.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)