Apr 2, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski is expected to return from his concussion on Tuesday, according to Columbus Dispatch writer Shawn Mitchell. That’s one of the few bright spots in what has been an otherwise disappointing season for Wisniewski.
After inking a five-year/$33 million with Columbus over the summer, Wisniewski was suspended for eight regular season games after he hit Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck in the head during a preseason contest. By the time he returned, the Blue Jackets were already 0-7-1. He also ended up missing time because of a broken left ankle, groin problems, and roughly two weeks because of the concussion. At this point, he’s only played in 45 of Columbus’ 79 contests this season.
That’s to say nothing of the fact that when he signed with the Blue Jackets, they were selling themselves as a franchise on the cusp of making the playoffs. Although they missed the postseason by 16 points in 2010-11, they thought that by adding Wisniewski, Vaclav Prospal, Jeff Carter, they could reverse their fortunes. Instead they did even worse in 2011-12. The face of their franchise and biggest star Rick Nash is interested in being traded and now it looks like Wisniewski will be part of a lengthy rebuilding effort.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)