Apr 2, 2012, 10:45 PM EST
Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski is expected to return from his concussion on Tuesday, according to Columbus Dispatch writer Shawn Mitchell. That’s one of the few bright spots in what has been an otherwise disappointing season for Wisniewski.
After inking a five-year/$33 million with Columbus over the summer, Wisniewski was suspended for eight regular season games after he hit Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck in the head during a preseason contest. By the time he returned, the Blue Jackets were already 0-7-1. He also ended up missing time because of a broken left ankle, groin problems, and roughly two weeks because of the concussion. At this point, he’s only played in 45 of Columbus’ 79 contests this season.
That’s to say nothing of the fact that when he signed with the Blue Jackets, they were selling themselves as a franchise on the cusp of making the playoffs. Although they missed the postseason by 16 points in 2010-11, they thought that by adding Wisniewski, Vaclav Prospal, Jeff Carter, they could reverse their fortunes. Instead they did even worse in 2011-12. The face of their franchise and biggest star Rick Nash is interested in being traded and now it looks like Wisniewski will be part of a lengthy rebuilding effort.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)