Apr 2, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
Completing one of the most remarkable single-season turnarounds in recent memory, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has been named the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
To give you an idea of just how remarkable his turnaround has been…
Bryzgalov in December: 6-3-1, 3.20 GAA, .878 save percentage, zero shutouts.
Bryzgalov in March: 10-2-1, 1.43 GAA, .947 save percentage, four shutouts.
March also saw Bryzgalov set a franchise record 249:43 shutout streak, helping the Flyers move to within one point of Pittsburgh for fourth in the Eastern Conference.
Second star of the month went to Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin. He notched 23 points in 15 games (11G-12A), recording points in 12 of 15 games while putting up seven multi-point efforts. This is Malkin’s eighth “star” award this season — he received five stars of the week (two firsts, two thirds and a second) and was named first star in December and second in January.
So yeah, just give him the Hart Trophy already.
March’s third star went to Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller. He compiled a 10-3-2 record with a 2.17 GAA and .930 save percentage (with two shutouts) as the Sabres rallied to pull within two points of eighth in the Eastern Conference. Miller’s biggest accomplishment was going 10 straight games without suffering a regulation defeat, a big reason why Buffalo climbed from the Eastern basement to battle for a playoff spot.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)