Apr 2, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
Completing one of the most remarkable single-season turnarounds in recent memory, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has been named the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
To give you an idea of just how remarkable his turnaround has been…
Bryzgalov in December: 6-3-1, 3.20 GAA, .878 save percentage, zero shutouts.
Bryzgalov in March: 10-2-1, 1.43 GAA, .947 save percentage, four shutouts.
March also saw Bryzgalov set a franchise record 249:43 shutout streak, helping the Flyers move to within one point of Pittsburgh for fourth in the Eastern Conference.
Second star of the month went to Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin. He notched 23 points in 15 games (11G-12A), recording points in 12 of 15 games while putting up seven multi-point efforts. This is Malkin’s eighth “star” award this season — he received five stars of the week (two firsts, two thirds and a second) and was named first star in December and second in January.
So yeah, just give him the Hart Trophy already.
March’s third star went to Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller. He compiled a 10-3-2 record with a 2.17 GAA and .930 save percentage (with two shutouts) as the Sabres rallied to pull within two points of eighth in the Eastern Conference. Miller’s biggest accomplishment was going 10 straight games without suffering a regulation defeat, a big reason why Buffalo climbed from the Eastern basement to battle for a playoff spot.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 7
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 36
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on