Apr 2, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
Completing one of the most remarkable single-season turnarounds in recent memory, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has been named the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
To give you an idea of just how remarkable his turnaround has been…
Bryzgalov in December: 6-3-1, 3.20 GAA, .878 save percentage, zero shutouts.
Bryzgalov in March: 10-2-1, 1.43 GAA, .947 save percentage, four shutouts.
March also saw Bryzgalov set a franchise record 249:43 shutout streak, helping the Flyers move to within one point of Pittsburgh for fourth in the Eastern Conference.
Second star of the month went to Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin. He notched 23 points in 15 games (11G-12A), recording points in 12 of 15 games while putting up seven multi-point efforts. This is Malkin’s eighth “star” award this season — he received five stars of the week (two firsts, two thirds and a second) and was named first star in December and second in January.
So yeah, just give him the Hart Trophy already.
March’s third star went to Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller. He compiled a 10-3-2 record with a 2.17 GAA and .930 save percentage (with two shutouts) as the Sabres rallied to pull within two points of eighth in the Eastern Conference. Miller’s biggest accomplishment was going 10 straight games without suffering a regulation defeat, a big reason why Buffalo climbed from the Eastern basement to battle for a playoff spot.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)