Apr 2, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
Completing one of the most remarkable single-season turnarounds in recent memory, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has been named the NHL’s first star for the month of March.
To give you an idea of just how remarkable his turnaround has been…
Bryzgalov in December: 6-3-1, 3.20 GAA, .878 save percentage, zero shutouts.
Bryzgalov in March: 10-2-1, 1.43 GAA, .947 save percentage, four shutouts.
March also saw Bryzgalov set a franchise record 249:43 shutout streak, helping the Flyers move to within one point of Pittsburgh for fourth in the Eastern Conference.
Second star of the month went to Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin. He notched 23 points in 15 games (11G-12A), recording points in 12 of 15 games while putting up seven multi-point efforts. This is Malkin’s eighth “star” award this season — he received five stars of the week (two firsts, two thirds and a second) and was named first star in December and second in January.
So yeah, just give him the Hart Trophy already.
March’s third star went to Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller. He compiled a 10-3-2 record with a 2.17 GAA and .930 save percentage (with two shutouts) as the Sabres rallied to pull within two points of eighth in the Eastern Conference. Miller’s biggest accomplishment was going 10 straight games without suffering a regulation defeat, a big reason why Buffalo climbed from the Eastern basement to battle for a playoff spot.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)