Apr 2, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Rosenbloom has a message for Blackhawks fans: You’re “crazy” if you’re hoping the ‘Hawks finish sixth in the Western Conference and get the Pacific Division champion in the first round instead of Detroit or Nashville.
First of all, the Hawks don’t have a winning record this season against any of the possible Pacific champs. They went 1-3 against Los Angeles and Phoenix, and 2-2 against Dallas and San Jose.
Maybe it’s me, but it’s hard to understand the smug act about Pacific opponents when you can’t find even one that you beat regularly.
What’s more — and what’s more important in the playoffs — all four Pacific possibilities have better goaltending than the Hawks.
Rosenbloom also rips the Blackhawks for going 15-13-4 since mid-January, though he fails to mention they’re 7-1-2 in their last 10.
But he’s right about two things:
—- The Pacific Division winner won’t be a pushover.
—- The ‘Hawks should be worried about their goaltending. Crawford had a nice stretch in the first three weeks of March, but he’s had a couple of mediocre outings since. Overall his numbers remain poor compared to the rest of the starters in the Western Conference.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)