Apr 2, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Rosenbloom has a message for Blackhawks fans: You’re “crazy” if you’re hoping the ‘Hawks finish sixth in the Western Conference and get the Pacific Division champion in the first round instead of Detroit or Nashville.
First of all, the Hawks don’t have a winning record this season against any of the possible Pacific champs. They went 1-3 against Los Angeles and Phoenix, and 2-2 against Dallas and San Jose.
Maybe it’s me, but it’s hard to understand the smug act about Pacific opponents when you can’t find even one that you beat regularly.
What’s more — and what’s more important in the playoffs — all four Pacific possibilities have better goaltending than the Hawks.
Rosenbloom also rips the Blackhawks for going 15-13-4 since mid-January, though he fails to mention they’re 7-1-2 in their last 10.
But he’s right about two things:
—- The Pacific Division winner won’t be a pushover.
—- The ‘Hawks should be worried about their goaltending. Crawford had a nice stretch in the first three weeks of March, but he’s had a couple of mediocre outings since. Overall his numbers remain poor compared to the rest of the starters in the Western Conference.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)