Apr 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
If Sunday’s game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers was an indication of how passionately these teams will compete in a matchup for home ice advantage, just imagine how the crazy their first round series will get.
The game broke down with just over a minute left in the contest when Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale delivered a big hit to Danny Briere. It got so out of hand that even the coaches got into a shouting match.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh certainly looked like a serious Stanley Cup contender in March, but they have struggled against Philadelphia all season. This first round matchup could be one of the best series of the 2012 playoffs.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)