Apr 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
If Sunday’s game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers was an indication of how passionately these teams will compete in a matchup for home ice advantage, just imagine how the crazy their first round series will get.
The game broke down with just over a minute left in the contest when Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale delivered a big hit to Danny Briere. It got so out of hand that even the coaches got into a shouting match.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh certainly looked like a serious Stanley Cup contender in March, but they have struggled against Philadelphia all season. This first round matchup could be one of the best series of the 2012 playoffs.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)