Apr 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
If Sunday’s game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers was an indication of how passionately these teams will compete in a matchup for home ice advantage, just imagine how the crazy their first round series will get.
The game broke down with just over a minute left in the contest when Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale delivered a big hit to Danny Briere. It got so out of hand that even the coaches got into a shouting match.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh certainly looked like a serious Stanley Cup contender in March, but they have struggled against Philadelphia all season. This first round matchup could be one of the best series of the 2012 playoffs.
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 0
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)