Apr 1, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
If Sunday’s game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers was an indication of how passionately these teams will compete in a matchup for home ice advantage, just imagine how the crazy their first round series will get.
The game broke down with just over a minute left in the contest when Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale delivered a big hit to Danny Briere. It got so out of hand that even the coaches got into a shouting match.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Pittsburgh certainly looked like a serious Stanley Cup contender in March, but they have struggled against Philadelphia all season. This first round matchup could be one of the best series of the 2012 playoffs.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)