Apr 1, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning were officially eliminated from postseason play on Saturday, but that didn’t stop forward Ryan Malone from putting on a show for the Tampa Bay Times Forum faithful.
Late in the first period of a 3-2 OT win over Winnipeg, Malone took the puck after what appeared to be a faceoff win from Jets center Bryan Little…and did this:
(Still trying to figure out if Lightning center Tom Pyatt pushed the puck forward off the draw. As of now the goal remains unassisted, so it doesn’t appear Pyatt did.)
The unfortunate Winnipeg defenseman was No. 24, Grant Clitsome, who simply couldn’t keep pace on the play.
The goal was Malone’s 19th of the season (he’d later add his 20th on the power play in the third period) — and it drew the admiration of a guy that knows a thing or two about scoring goals, Steve Stamkos.
“That took ‘dump and chase’ to a new level,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “I don’t know if he’s been practicing his golf game lately, but that looked like a nice 60-degree wedge.”
Speaking of Stamkos, he put himself in the history books last night by scoring his fifth overtime goal of the year, an NHL single-season record.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)