Apr 1, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were officially eliminated from postseason play on Saturday, but that didn’t stop forward Ryan Malone from putting on a show for the Tampa Bay Times Forum faithful.
Late in the first period of a 3-2 OT win over Winnipeg, Malone took the puck after what appeared to be a faceoff win from Jets center Bryan Little…and did this:
(Still trying to figure out if Lightning center Tom Pyatt pushed the puck forward off the draw. As of now the goal remains unassisted, so it doesn’t appear Pyatt did.)
The unfortunate Winnipeg defenseman was No. 24, Grant Clitsome, who simply couldn’t keep pace on the play.
The goal was Malone’s 19th of the season (he’d later add his 20th on the power play in the third period) — and it drew the admiration of a guy that knows a thing or two about scoring goals, Steve Stamkos.
“That took ‘dump and chase’ to a new level,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “I don’t know if he’s been practicing his golf game lately, but that looked like a nice 60-degree wedge.”
Speaking of Stamkos, he put himself in the history books last night by scoring his fifth overtime goal of the year, an NHL single-season record.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)