Apr 1, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were officially eliminated from postseason play on Saturday, but that didn’t stop forward Ryan Malone from putting on a show for the Tampa Bay Times Forum faithful.
Late in the first period of a 3-2 OT win over Winnipeg, Malone took the puck after what appeared to be a faceoff win from Jets center Bryan Little…and did this:
(Still trying to figure out if Lightning center Tom Pyatt pushed the puck forward off the draw. As of now the goal remains unassisted, so it doesn’t appear Pyatt did.)
The unfortunate Winnipeg defenseman was No. 24, Grant Clitsome, who simply couldn’t keep pace on the play.
The goal was Malone’s 19th of the season (he’d later add his 20th on the power play in the third period) — and it drew the admiration of a guy that knows a thing or two about scoring goals, Steve Stamkos.
“That took ‘dump and chase’ to a new level,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “I don’t know if he’s been practicing his golf game lately, but that looked like a nice 60-degree wedge.”
Speaking of Stamkos, he put himself in the history books last night by scoring his fifth overtime goal of the year, an NHL single-season record.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)