Apr 1, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning were officially eliminated from postseason play on Saturday, but that didn’t stop forward Ryan Malone from putting on a show for the Tampa Bay Times Forum faithful.
Late in the first period of a 3-2 OT win over Winnipeg, Malone took the puck after what appeared to be a faceoff win from Jets center Bryan Little…and did this:
(Still trying to figure out if Lightning center Tom Pyatt pushed the puck forward off the draw. As of now the goal remains unassisted, so it doesn’t appear Pyatt did.)
The unfortunate Winnipeg defenseman was No. 24, Grant Clitsome, who simply couldn’t keep pace on the play.
The goal was Malone’s 19th of the season (he’d later add his 20th on the power play in the third period) — and it drew the admiration of a guy that knows a thing or two about scoring goals, Steve Stamkos.
“That took ‘dump and chase’ to a new level,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “I don’t know if he’s been practicing his golf game lately, but that looked like a nice 60-degree wedge.”
Speaking of Stamkos, he put himself in the history books last night by scoring his fifth overtime goal of the year, an NHL single-season record.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)