Apr 1, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were officially eliminated from postseason play on Saturday, but that didn’t stop forward Ryan Malone from putting on a show for the Tampa Bay Times Forum faithful.
Late in the first period of a 3-2 OT win over Winnipeg, Malone took the puck after what appeared to be a faceoff win from Jets center Bryan Little…and did this:
(Still trying to figure out if Lightning center Tom Pyatt pushed the puck forward off the draw. As of now the goal remains unassisted, so it doesn’t appear Pyatt did.)
The unfortunate Winnipeg defenseman was No. 24, Grant Clitsome, who simply couldn’t keep pace on the play.
The goal was Malone’s 19th of the season (he’d later add his 20th on the power play in the third period) — and it drew the admiration of a guy that knows a thing or two about scoring goals, Steve Stamkos.
“That took ‘dump and chase’ to a new level,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “I don’t know if he’s been practicing his golf game lately, but that looked like a nice 60-degree wedge.”
Speaking of Stamkos, he put himself in the history books last night by scoring his fifth overtime goal of the year, an NHL single-season record.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)