Apr 1, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
After falling a game short of the Stanley Cup finals in 2011, the Tampa Bay Lightning were officially eliminated from the playoffs this weekend. As you probably know, not much has gone well. Their defense fell apart – literally and figuratively. Vincent Lecavalier dealt with another extended injury and Dwayne Roloson showed his age worse than Kathleen Turner this season.
Aside from the clockwork-like productivity of Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos has been far and away the bright spot for the Lightning in 2011-12. He already set a new franchise mark for goals in one season and now he broke an NHL record, as Stamkos collected his fifth OT tally of the season on Saturday.
“When you think of how long the NHL has been around, to have a record to call my own, at least for now, is amazing,” Stamkos said. “Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought about scoring this many goals in a season and setting a record for the most overtime goals. Obviously I’d have loved to do this in a season where we were competing for a Stanley Cup.”
It’s still quite the interesting accomplishment – and evidence that other NHL teams might want to avoid playing against the Lightning in 4-on-4 situations in the future.
Check it out below:
With his special season in mind, I have to ask: is Stamkos the least-discussed superstar in the NHL right now? You just don’t hear his name often in “best in the world” discussions, and aside from his team’s sorry state and non-traditional market, I can see any clear reason why.
(It’s probably because of those two things.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 6
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 21
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 76
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (76)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Garcia's fried chicken jibe inappropriate, Tiger says
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole