Apr 1, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators can breathe a sigh of relief. After enduring a 3-5-2 stretch in March, the Senators have bounced back with four straight victories to earn a playoff spot. Even without Jason Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson, the Ottawa Senators were able to post a 5-1 victory over the New York Islanders on Sunday.
With two of the Senators’ top players gone, Kyle Turris picked up the slack. Turris scored two goals and registered two assists to give him eight points in his last four contests.
Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson registered an assist to extend his point streak to four games. He’s just two points shy of tying Nicklas Lidstrom’s all-time point record for Swedish blueliners with three games left in the Senators schedule.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
For Ottawa these final three contests should be primarily about getting ready for the postseason. They can still finish as high as sixth or as low as eighth, but they will probably end up with the seventh seed. That means their first round opponent will almost certainly be the Boston Bruins. The two clubs have never played against each other in the playoffs.
Meanwhile, the Islanders have nothing left to play for other than personal pride. Their matchup against the Devils has little significance, even to New Jersey. Beyond that they will play against two other squads that won’t be making the playoffs: Winnipeg Jets and Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)