Apr 1, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Rob Scuderi didn’t offer any excuses to Rich Hammond when asked about the Los Angeles Kings’ “missed point” from a shootout loss against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. Dustin Brown spoke about coughing up a lead.
Yet in the grand scheme of things, well-known source of sunshine/head coach Darryl Sutter seemed pretty upbeat about the Kings’ work in their four-game road trip and the last two nights in particular.
(on whether this was a “good’’ trip, and almost a “great’’ trip…)
SUTTER: “Yeah, I think so. Heck, that’s what I told them. We got three out of four (points) in a day. And five out of six in less than four days. I think if you’d have said that, at any other time than right now, you’d say it was great.”
(on being able to control their fate with three games left…)
SUTTER: “Big point. I’m not a philosopher or Nostradamus or nothing. I can’t do any of that stuff. We got our 91st point tonight, and hopefully it’s a big one.”
So, to review: good but not great trip; Sutter is not Nostradamus.
Anyway, the Kings are currently in control of the Pacific Division lead even though the Phoenix Coyotes also have 91 standings points. The Kings, Coyotes, San Jose Sharks (90 points) and Dallas Stars (89 points) all have three games left while the Colorado Avalanche (88) have two remaining.
Los Angeles has a home game against the Edmonton Oilers and then that home-and-home with the Sharks to end the season. Ultimately, the Kings will only have themselves (and perhaps the Sharks) to blame if they don’t make the playoffs.
Just don’t ask Sutter to make predictions.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)