Apr 1, 2012, 9:54 PM EDT
Just eight seconds after Jiri Hudler scored a goal for Detroit and tied Sunday’s game against Florida at 1-1 in the third period, Kyle Quincey nearly cost his team the game. Quincey delivered a vicious and perhaps suspension worthy check on Florida’s Tomas Kopecky. You can take a look at it and judge for yourself below.
Quincey’s skates left the ice and his elbow appeared to make contact with Kopecky’s head. It’s no wonder that Quincey got a game misconduct as well as a five-minute major for elbowing. Detroit managed to kill off the penalty, thanks in part to Florida’s Dmitry Kulikov getting a two-minute minor for tripping, which led to some four-on-four hockey. The Red Wings went onto win 2-1 in a shootout.
After the game, Quincey defended his actions.
“I don’t know if he slipped, but I think he was falling when I went to hit him and his head hit me in the hip or like low here,” said Quincey, pointing to his forearm. “I just tried to make a good body check and I’m glad he’s OK.”
Kopecky, who used to play with Quincey when they were both members of AHL Grand Rapids, didn’t sound ready to let him off the hook.
“He just elbowed me in the face. I thought that was the kind of thing we want to eliminate from the game,” Kopecky said. “I don’t know if he meant to do it or not … We’ve had meetings to try to prevent these things.”
For his part, Wings coach Mike Babcock declined to offer his opinion on the possibility of Quincey getting suspended because he hadn’t looked at the replay yet. Instead, he only said that he agreed with the referees decision to hand Quincey a five-minute major and a game misconduct.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)