Apr 1, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne gets plenty of well-deserved attention for putting up great numbers at an advanced age, but Ray Whitney is producing some of the best stats of his career at 39. In fact, he scored a goal and an assist tonight to help the Phoenix Coyotes earn a 4-0 win against the Anaheim Ducks – and cross the 1,000-point barrier in the process.
Actually, Whitney’s at 1,001 points now – and 75 on the season. That’s just eight points shy of his career-high of 83, set with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006-07.
Tonight wasn’t just big for Whitney, though. The Coyotes’ victory leaves them at 91 standings points, essentially tied with the Los Angeles Kings for the Pacific Division lead.
Mike Smith is also doing quite well for himself, as he’s put together back-to-back shutouts, stopping all 82 shots in the last two games. That marks his seventh goose egg of 2011-12, another sign that his season a huge success.
The Coyotes aren’t assured a playoff spot just yet, but they certainly placed themselves in a better situation while they eagerly await what happens in the Dallas Stars-San Jose Sharks game tonight. Yet whether they succeed or fail in making the postseason, it’s been a great year for Smith – and a great career for “The Wizard.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)