Apr 1, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne gets plenty of well-deserved attention for putting up great numbers at an advanced age, but Ray Whitney is producing some of the best stats of his career at 39. In fact, he scored a goal and an assist tonight to help the Phoenix Coyotes earn a 4-0 win against the Anaheim Ducks – and cross the 1,000-point barrier in the process.
Actually, Whitney’s at 1,001 points now – and 75 on the season. That’s just eight points shy of his career-high of 83, set with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006-07.
Tonight wasn’t just big for Whitney, though. The Coyotes’ victory leaves them at 91 standings points, essentially tied with the Los Angeles Kings for the Pacific Division lead.
Mike Smith is also doing quite well for himself, as he’s put together back-to-back shutouts, stopping all 82 shots in the last two games. That marks his seventh goose egg of 2011-12, another sign that his season a huge success.
The Coyotes aren’t assured a playoff spot just yet, but they certainly placed themselves in a better situation while they eagerly await what happens in the Dallas Stars-San Jose Sharks game tonight. Yet whether they succeed or fail in making the postseason, it’s been a great year for Smith – and a great career for “The Wizard.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)