Apr 1, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
In the wake of Pittsburgh’s loss to Philadelphia this afternoon, the New York Rangers can wrap up top spot in the Eastern Conference tonight at MSG (7 p.m. ET, NBCSN). All the Rangers need is a point against the Bruins to claim home-ice advantage until at least the Stanley Cup finals, should they make it that far.
The Rangers are still in a race with Vancouver and St. Louis for the Presidents’ Trophy, so even if they clinch first in the conference tonight, at least some of their remaining three games (in Philadelphia, in Pittsburgh, vs. Washington) will have meaning.
Henrik Lundqvist is set to make his ninth straight start in goal, leaving us to wonder how coach John Tortorella will handle goaltending duties down the stretch. Lundqvist is a workhorse and Martin Biron hasn’t been very good in 2012, but if the Rangers plan on making a deep run, it might not hurt to give the No. 1 a rest.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)