Apr 1, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
In the wake of Pittsburgh’s loss to Philadelphia this afternoon, the New York Rangers can wrap up top spot in the Eastern Conference tonight at MSG (7 p.m. ET, NBCSN). All the Rangers need is a point against the Bruins to claim home-ice advantage until at least the Stanley Cup finals, should they make it that far.
The Rangers are still in a race with Vancouver and St. Louis for the Presidents’ Trophy, so even if they clinch first in the conference tonight, at least some of their remaining three games (in Philadelphia, in Pittsburgh, vs. Washington) will have meaning.
Henrik Lundqvist is set to make his ninth straight start in goal, leaving us to wonder how coach John Tortorella will handle goaltending duties down the stretch. Lundqvist is a workhorse and Martin Biron hasn’t been very good in 2012, but if the Rangers plan on making a deep run, it might not hurt to give the No. 1 a rest.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks