Apr 1, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
Saturday night was all right for Joe Pavelski.
The Sharks winger was a key figure in a much-needed 3-0 win over Dallas on Saturday, scoring two goals to put himself at 31 on the season, a career high. Pavelski also moved atop the league leaderboard by scoring his first goal just 58 seconds into the game — it was his fifth this season scored inside the first two minutes of a game, the most in the NHL.
As you’d expect, the Sharks were full of praise for Pavelski…albeit rather unusual praise. Check out Joe Thornton telling CSN Bay Area how Pavelski’s a “dirty player” (in a good way!):
The “I meant it in a good way!” praise continued when San Jose head coach Todd McLellan took the podium.
“[Pavelski’s] a little bit like Gumby,” McLellan told NHL.com. “He slithers into spots. His sense of timing is really good. We talk about going to the net, but arriving at the net at the right time is probably a little more important than always going to the net. [He] has that knack. He has a great hockey sense. He genuinely wants to improve his game. He looks for ways to do it, he studies it. And then playing with his linemates (Thornton and Logan Couture) certainly helps.”
The one nickname San Jose might want to consider for Pavelski is “Mr. Clutch.” In a year where scoring is down across the board — San Jose has 206 goals this year compared to last year’s 243 — Pavelski’s emerged as the team’s goalscoring leader, and has scored seven times in San Jose’s last nine games.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)