Apr 1, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
If the Columbus Blue Jackets trade Rick Nash over the summer, no one player is going to fill his shoes. In addition to being the team’s biggest star, he’s also the face of the franchise and one of the main attractions for a team that hasn’t had much success. However, should he be dealt, they will need a new captain and Jack Johnson might be it.
Johnson was acquired from the Kings in the Jeff Carter trade and has become a defensive leader for the team.
“He’s done a great job coming in,” Blue jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “There is leadership there, without question. I don’t think he is a real vocal, rah-rah guy, but he leads by the way he plays. He had a letter, too, in L.A. There is something there.”
He has averaged a staggering 27:41 minutes per game while a number of the Blue Jackets’ defensemen are sidelined.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)