Apr 1, 2012, 7:37 PM EST
If the Columbus Blue Jackets trade Rick Nash over the summer, no one player is going to fill his shoes. In addition to being the team’s biggest star, he’s also the face of the franchise and one of the main attractions for a team that hasn’t had much success. However, should he be dealt, they will need a new captain and Jack Johnson might be it.
Johnson was acquired from the Kings in the Jeff Carter trade and has become a defensive leader for the team.
“He’s done a great job coming in,” Blue jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “There is leadership there, without question. I don’t think he is a real vocal, rah-rah guy, but he leads by the way he plays. He had a letter, too, in L.A. There is something there.”
He has averaged a staggering 27:41 minutes per game while a number of the Blue Jackets’ defensemen are sidelined.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)