Apr 1, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
If the Columbus Blue Jackets trade Rick Nash over the summer, no one player is going to fill his shoes. In addition to being the team’s biggest star, he’s also the face of the franchise and one of the main attractions for a team that hasn’t had much success. However, should he be dealt, they will need a new captain and Jack Johnson might be it.
Johnson was acquired from the Kings in the Jeff Carter trade and has become a defensive leader for the team.
“He’s done a great job coming in,” Blue jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “There is leadership there, without question. I don’t think he is a real vocal, rah-rah guy, but he leads by the way he plays. He had a letter, too, in L.A. There is something there.”
He has averaged a staggering 27:41 minutes per game while a number of the Blue Jackets’ defensemen are sidelined.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 17
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)