Apr 1, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
If the Columbus Blue Jackets trade Rick Nash over the summer, no one player is going to fill his shoes. In addition to being the team’s biggest star, he’s also the face of the franchise and one of the main attractions for a team that hasn’t had much success. However, should he be dealt, they will need a new captain and Jack Johnson might be it.
Johnson was acquired from the Kings in the Jeff Carter trade and has become a defensive leader for the team.
“He’s done a great job coming in,” Blue jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “There is leadership there, without question. I don’t think he is a real vocal, rah-rah guy, but he leads by the way he plays. He had a letter, too, in L.A. There is something there.”
He has averaged a staggering 27:41 minutes per game while a number of the Blue Jackets’ defensemen are sidelined.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)