Apr 1, 2012, 7:37 PM EST
If the Columbus Blue Jackets trade Rick Nash over the summer, no one player is going to fill his shoes. In addition to being the team’s biggest star, he’s also the face of the franchise and one of the main attractions for a team that hasn’t had much success. However, should he be dealt, they will need a new captain and Jack Johnson might be it.
Johnson was acquired from the Kings in the Jeff Carter trade and has become a defensive leader for the team.
“He’s done a great job coming in,” Blue jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “There is leadership there, without question. I don’t think he is a real vocal, rah-rah guy, but he leads by the way he plays. He had a letter, too, in L.A. There is something there.”
He has averaged a staggering 27:41 minutes per game while a number of the Blue Jackets’ defensemen are sidelined.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 5
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 12
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 28
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)