Apr 1, 2012, 10:27 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and New York Rangers both entered Sunday’s contest with a chance to lock up their division with a victory. The Rangers kept the game close, but Tim Thomas turned aside 33 shots in Boston’s 2-1 win.
Marian Gaborik struck first, scoring his 40th goal of the season on a breakaway. After a disappointing 2010-11 campaign, he’s been one of the NHL’s biggest comeback players. Unfortunately for the Rangers, his efforts proved to be moot as the Bruins’ struck back in the second period.
It was all Rangers in the third period, but the Bruins and Thomas managed to shut the door. The Rangers had some good chances, but Thomas made some impressive saves. With roughly two minutes left in the third, Thomas lost his stick and fell out of position, but Thomas managed to scramble back and make a glove save on Ryan Callahan’s shot.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Boston is now locked into the second seed and will probably end up playing the Ottawa Senators in the first round. Despite this loss, the New York Rangers will still almost certainly end up with the first seed and play either the Washington Capitals or Buffalo Sabres in the playoffs. You can watch some further analysis below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 28
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 10
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 110
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (111)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)