Apr 1, 2012, 10:27 PM EST
The Boston Bruins and New York Rangers both entered Sunday’s contest with a chance to lock up their division with a victory. The Rangers kept the game close, but Tim Thomas turned aside 33 shots in Boston’s 2-1 win.
Marian Gaborik struck first, scoring his 40th goal of the season on a breakaway. After a disappointing 2010-11 campaign, he’s been one of the NHL’s biggest comeback players. Unfortunately for the Rangers, his efforts proved to be moot as the Bruins’ struck back in the second period.
It was all Rangers in the third period, but the Bruins and Thomas managed to shut the door. The Rangers had some good chances, but Thomas made some impressive saves. With roughly two minutes left in the third, Thomas lost his stick and fell out of position, but Thomas managed to scramble back and make a glove save on Ryan Callahan’s shot.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Boston is now locked into the second seed and will probably end up playing the Ottawa Senators in the first round. Despite this loss, the New York Rangers will still almost certainly end up with the first seed and play either the Washington Capitals or Buffalo Sabres in the playoffs. You can watch some further analysis below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (145)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)