Apr 1, 2012, 10:27 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and New York Rangers both entered Sunday’s contest with a chance to lock up their division with a victory. The Rangers kept the game close, but Tim Thomas turned aside 33 shots in Boston’s 2-1 win.
Marian Gaborik struck first, scoring his 40th goal of the season on a breakaway. After a disappointing 2010-11 campaign, he’s been one of the NHL’s biggest comeback players. Unfortunately for the Rangers, his efforts proved to be moot as the Bruins’ struck back in the second period.
It was all Rangers in the third period, but the Bruins and Thomas managed to shut the door. The Rangers had some good chances, but Thomas made some impressive saves. With roughly two minutes left in the third, Thomas lost his stick and fell out of position, but Thomas managed to scramble back and make a glove save on Ryan Callahan’s shot.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Boston is now locked into the second seed and will probably end up playing the Ottawa Senators in the first round. Despite this loss, the New York Rangers will still almost certainly end up with the first seed and play either the Washington Capitals or Buffalo Sabres in the playoffs. You can watch some further analysis below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 9
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 11
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)