Mar 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
All the waiting and patience for Caps center Nicklas Backstrom is about to pay off tonight.
According to Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, Backstrom went through line rushes at today’s morning skate paired up with Alex Ovechkin and Marcus Johansson. Backstrom’s return comes with a side dish of drama as well.
The Capitals face off against the Montreal Canadiens tonight, a team that now employs the guy responsible for knocking Backstrom out of action in Rene Bourque. Bourque, then a member of the Calgary Flames, threw a cheap shot elbow to the head of Backstrom that put him out of action for 40 games.
With Backstrom coming back while the Caps’ playoff destiny is in their hands now, thanks to Buffalo losing to Pittsburgh last night, it’s a huge moment for the Caps as they look to lock down a postseason spot.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)