Mar 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
All the waiting and patience for Caps center Nicklas Backstrom is about to pay off tonight.
According to Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, Backstrom went through line rushes at today’s morning skate paired up with Alex Ovechkin and Marcus Johansson. Backstrom’s return comes with a side dish of drama as well.
The Capitals face off against the Montreal Canadiens tonight, a team that now employs the guy responsible for knocking Backstrom out of action in Rene Bourque. Bourque, then a member of the Calgary Flames, threw a cheap shot elbow to the head of Backstrom that put him out of action for 40 games.
With Backstrom coming back while the Caps’ playoff destiny is in their hands now, thanks to Buffalo losing to Pittsburgh last night, it’s a huge moment for the Caps as they look to lock down a postseason spot.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)