Mar 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
All the waiting and patience for Caps center Nicklas Backstrom is about to pay off tonight.
According to Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, Backstrom went through line rushes at today’s morning skate paired up with Alex Ovechkin and Marcus Johansson. Backstrom’s return comes with a side dish of drama as well.
The Capitals face off against the Montreal Canadiens tonight, a team that now employs the guy responsible for knocking Backstrom out of action in Rene Bourque. Bourque, then a member of the Calgary Flames, threw a cheap shot elbow to the head of Backstrom that put him out of action for 40 games.
With Backstrom coming back while the Caps’ playoff destiny is in their hands now, thanks to Buffalo losing to Pittsburgh last night, it’s a huge moment for the Caps as they look to lock down a postseason spot.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 14
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 32
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11