Mar 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
All the waiting and patience for Caps center Nicklas Backstrom is about to pay off tonight.
According to Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times, Backstrom went through line rushes at today’s morning skate paired up with Alex Ovechkin and Marcus Johansson. Backstrom’s return comes with a side dish of drama as well.
The Capitals face off against the Montreal Canadiens tonight, a team that now employs the guy responsible for knocking Backstrom out of action in Rene Bourque. Bourque, then a member of the Calgary Flames, threw a cheap shot elbow to the head of Backstrom that put him out of action for 40 games.
With Backstrom coming back while the Caps’ playoff destiny is in their hands now, thanks to Buffalo losing to Pittsburgh last night, it’s a huge moment for the Caps as they look to lock down a postseason spot.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)