James van Riemsdyk eyes playoff return

Mar 31, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT

James van Riemsdyk AP

We haven’t heard much from injured Flyers forward James van Riemsdyk. He’s been out since the beginning of March with a broken foot suffered while blocking a shot and while he’s getting better, he’s got a target in mind for when he can return.

Sam Carchidi of Broad Street Bull caught up van Riemsdyk to find out that he’s aiming for a return to action during the playoffs.

It seems that, in a best-case scenario, van Riemsdyk would rejoin the team midway through the opening round of the playoffs.

“There’s no reason to think that can’t happen,” he said. “I’m just doing all I can to stay positive, and being in a good mindset to get better. That’s all I can do right now.”

Without JVR in the lineup, the Flyers wingers haven’t been quite as deep as they’d like. They’re also missing the offensive skill and scoring touch van Riemsdyk is capable of. Considering that it was during last year’s playoffs that we saw van Riemsdyk show what his true potential was, perhaps a playoff return is a good omen for Philly.

1. phillyphever - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Honestly, I rather have Eric Wellwood in the lineup over JVR for the rest of the season.

• ml3939 - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Eric Wellwood can fly and has been impressive but I think you are getting caught up in the moment. JVR has not been healthy this season. Hopefully this break will give him a chance to heal up. Since Wellwood can kill penalties, there is a good chance Rinaldo will be the one to sit for JVR.

• phillyphever - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Not really. I’m more worried about how much the chemistry will be affected when he comes back. Plus, is he gonna be in good enough shape to handle the playoffs. Too much of a risk to do, especially with Pittsburgh being the opponent.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

What a stupid comment
      JVR scored 7 goals for your Flyers in last years playoffs

Typical though of Philly trash

• phillyphever - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Oh really, what are you a Pittsburgh fan?

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Red Wings, but what does that have to do with you forgetting what JVR did for you a year ago in crunch time?

Playoffs are all that matter, if a player is able to score during the pressure of playoffs, well you do not wish that he is sat for the likes Eric Wellwood or Rinaldo.

Seriously, are you new to the game? Just started watching the Flyers this year? Suffer a head injury?

• phillyphever - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Yeah, a year ago. And what makes you think he’ll do the same thing in the playoffs this year coming off knee surgery and without any game action to get his legs underneath him?

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

What do you say to such stupidity?

1. Broken Foot, not Knee Surgery

2. You trying to spin a broken foot into some sorta massive injury tells me and everyone either
        a) you’re clueless about your own team
        or
        b) you’re so desperate to defend your foolish statements that you are making up garbage to support it

Typical and Stupid

• illbringdabeers - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM

typical?

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM

You Flyer fans are silly people who the majority cried about the Hartnell contract, cried about trading Richards and Carter.
        While people who know a thing or two was loving these moves Philly fans by in large were calling for heads.

• illbringdabeers - Apr 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

um no they weren’t. people here were shocked and caught off guard by it thats all, but please go on, tell me more about something you know nothing of, please!

• phillyphever - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

1) Ok, I was wrong on the body part he was injured, but that doesn’t sway my stance on him being shut down for the season.

2) You really think all those insults are gonna scar me for life internet tough guy? Ohh, I’m soooo hurt by words from someone I don’t know. Grow up.

3) Worry about your own damn team not getting knocked out by Nashville in the first round instead of worrying about my team.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Oh ya, most of yas thought Philly gave up too much for a 34 year old defenseman named Chris Pronger

Ohh noes two late 1st round picks and Lupol

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:49 PM

LOL
        “internet tough guy”

Me giving you a hard time is challenging you to a fight?

Only in Philly

• phillyphever - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Yeah….I think I wasted too much of my time on you. Sad really, you’re giving Red Wings fans a bad name with your actions. May god bless your soul.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Say Hi to Tebow for me

• tcclark - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You know nothing about Flyers fans. We complained about Hartnell’s contract when he wasnt living up to it. Like in 2010 when he scored a whopping 14 goals and took ridiculously stupid penalties. That’s not worth the 4.2 million we’re paying him. Now that he’s living up to it, fans haven’t been complaining. we expect results.

From my recollection, almost no one was upset about the Carter trade. It had been expected for some time and I had been hearing about a trade to Columbus for at least a week. Not many Flyers fans liked Carter by the time he was gone and those who did saw what we got in return as a great deal. The only backlash came from the Richards deal and I’d say even that one was split 50-50. No one expected that one to happen so a lot of complaints stemmed from the shock of the deal and honestly the majority of people that i heard bashing the trades were non-flyers fans who didn’t get to see them play on a night in and night out basis. Fans kept saying “you need to replace 53 goals” and Flyers fans were saying Giroux, JVR, and the other additions would make up for it. Get your facts straight before you go blabbering on about someone else’s fans.

2. broadstbully33 - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM

wellwood is always the fastest skater playing…jvr Briere are playoff monsters what is going to hurt philly the most is mez being out

3. jagrbomb18 - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I see no need to rush JVR back into the lineup, Eric Wellwood really is playing very well. Assuming your from Detroit you probably don’t get to see to many Flyers games. You also probably haven’t seen JVR play that much this year either. I’m a huge JVR guy, I can’t wait for him to breakout. But some thing is holding him back this year. I heard he has a hip problem that requires surgery but he is waiting for the season to end. RIGHT NOW I’ll take Wellwoods grittiness and speed over a hurt JVR. Typical arrogant Red Wings fan…

4. pc022 - Apr 2, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Why do the comments on here have to be so insulting? firstandonlywarning made a great point but just had to throw out an insult (“Philly Trash”). Why not just make the point and leave it at that? The guy has a right to his opinion.

I personally hope JVR does comeback and is able to find his game ASAP. You can never have too many good players, especially in a game where the playoffs is a war of attrition. I could see why some will say go forward without JVR because he hasn’t been consistent this year. But part of that is due to all the injuries. But I don’t think I’m giving up on him like that. In the times he was able to get on the ice he played well. He just didn’t get the results

It’s a tough decision on who to scratch as Wellwood and Rinaldo are playing their roles well. As much as Rinaldo finds himself in the box, he has done a good job on the checking line with Couturier and Talbot and you can say the same about Wellwood with Read and Voracek. Wellwood probably should get the nod because he’s more versatile but I like the toughness Rinaldo brings.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches