Mar 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EST
The Flyers are in the hunt for the fourth seed in the East and earning home ice advantage for the first round. Problem there, however, is the team in front of them are the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Even worse for Philly is their comeback from a 3-0 hole to Ottawa today fell short losing in a shootout. The Flyers are three points back of Pittsburgh and that suddenly makes tomorrow’s game a big one for Philly.
NHL.com’s Jeremy Roenick, who knows a thing or two about this rivalry having been a Flyer, says that getting home ice for this likely first round match-up will make all the difference.
“That’s why you saw Philly care so much in Toronto on Thursday,” Roenick said, referring to the Flyers 7-1 pounding of the Maple Leafs. “I believe they are focused that Pittsburgh is going to be their first-round matchup and their main goal is to get home-ice advantage. I think they feel they can beat them in their own building, which they showed last game coming back from two goals down (to win 3-2 in overtime).
“If you’re going to play a team like Pittsburgh in the first round, home-ice advantage becomes so critical. That might be the Flyers mentality right now.”
If that’s their mentality, they’d better pull off a win tomorrow, or else they’ll be spending the majority of the first round on the wrong side of the state.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)