Mar 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
The Flyers are in the hunt for the fourth seed in the East and earning home ice advantage for the first round. Problem there, however, is the team in front of them are the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Even worse for Philly is their comeback from a 3-0 hole to Ottawa today fell short losing in a shootout. The Flyers are three points back of Pittsburgh and that suddenly makes tomorrow’s game a big one for Philly.
NHL.com’s Jeremy Roenick, who knows a thing or two about this rivalry having been a Flyer, says that getting home ice for this likely first round match-up will make all the difference.
“That’s why you saw Philly care so much in Toronto on Thursday,” Roenick said, referring to the Flyers 7-1 pounding of the Maple Leafs. “I believe they are focused that Pittsburgh is going to be their first-round matchup and their main goal is to get home-ice advantage. I think they feel they can beat them in their own building, which they showed last game coming back from two goals down (to win 3-2 in overtime).
“If you’re going to play a team like Pittsburgh in the first round, home-ice advantage becomes so critical. That might be the Flyers mentality right now.”
If that’s their mentality, they’d better pull off a win tomorrow, or else they’ll be spending the majority of the first round on the wrong side of the state.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 0
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 9
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 42
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination