Mar 31, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
The Flyers are in the hunt for the fourth seed in the East and earning home ice advantage for the first round. Problem there, however, is the team in front of them are the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Even worse for Philly is their comeback from a 3-0 hole to Ottawa today fell short losing in a shootout. The Flyers are three points back of Pittsburgh and that suddenly makes tomorrow’s game a big one for Philly.
NHL.com’s Jeremy Roenick, who knows a thing or two about this rivalry having been a Flyer, says that getting home ice for this likely first round match-up will make all the difference.
“That’s why you saw Philly care so much in Toronto on Thursday,” Roenick said, referring to the Flyers 7-1 pounding of the Maple Leafs. “I believe they are focused that Pittsburgh is going to be their first-round matchup and their main goal is to get home-ice advantage. I think they feel they can beat them in their own building, which they showed last game coming back from two goals down (to win 3-2 in overtime).
“If you’re going to play a team like Pittsburgh in the first round, home-ice advantage becomes so critical. That might be the Flyers mentality right now.”
If that’s their mentality, they’d better pull off a win tomorrow, or else they’ll be spending the majority of the first round on the wrong side of the state.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)